Power door lock or hockey buzzer?`

Mustang John

Founding Member
Aug 12, 2000
Cleveland, Ohio
Strangely enough, the door lock in my 89 LX isn't froze up like most do, it works fine. Well, other than the hockey buzzer sound it started making recently.

Before I remove the panels and investigate, is it time to replace? Or is it possibly something that is loose and fixable? Seems like the coil is whacking out, but you never know I suppose.

Thanx in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

glad to see you back in here (seems like you have been gone for 6 months or so).
you know actuators dont last. i cant imagine the sound exactly, but i would prepare to replace them. give Jrichker's retrofit a try. i did it and am real happy. i was out of pocket $4.37 to do it. not bad. i like the way the other actuators work much better. i did some different things (so i did not drill through the door, etc). very easy.

i like it and replacement actuators will cost me 4 bucks. glad to see ya back in here. good luck, John.

Thanks for the welcome back! I get so busy at the transmission shop and with a pitbull forum I run that I sorta forget to come here! Plus there are so many knowledgeable people here, many of of the replies or comments that I would make on something are already said! :)

I was casually looking over that retrofit, I'll have to check it out and see what it's about. I'm assuming it is an actuator for some other application used on the stang ehh? I better read that!

Seems that I have a new stang actuator in the garage somewhere... Yeah, umm, somewhere... Hmm...

It getting summer, I'll have more Mustang thoughts to post I'm sure now that the garage is getting warm enough to go into and actually look at the car! So much to do to it this year, suspension, brakes and fuel sys mods... Good to see yas!

John, the actuator used in Jrichker's article is a generic unit. it costs under 4 bucks. i played with it and i like better than the stockers. seems to be a better and more simplistic unit (at least to me). partsexpress.com sells them. i am gonna use them on other cars when the actuators die. just need to rig it to the bracket and linkage. no big deal.
since i did not have a lot of the exact stuff Joe had and used in his write up, i used some of my stuff (Joe's design would long outlast the car. LOL). i avoided drilling through the door by using two long nails with flat heads. i cut them so that they could be fed in from each side, and meet in the middle of the actuator. that way, no need to drill a hole. i put duct tape over the heads, though they are wedged in there and not going anywhere. i have other shortcuts if you want.
but it sounds like you have a spare, so cool. nice and simple. dont break the bracket like i did (plastic on the 88 GT vert).
i had been wondering where you went. i learned a lot from you, especially on the AOD threads. i dont have an AOD, but like to learn. a couple of times when people could not get AOD answers, i mentioned tothem to maybe PM you, since i had not seen ya' for awhile.

anyhow, good luck with this and all the mods. sounds fun. glad you are back. stay around. :)

Hey Hissin50, thanks for the kind words. I'll be around and spewing nonsense I'm sure, hehee..

Yep, sure sounds like a stripped gear. And yes, it's annoying. Particularly as the locks are actuated by my alarm disarming and arming, and then when the car is put into gear, they lock automatically and it buzzes very loud in the left ear there... Aaagh...

Time to open it up I think. I get some mighty strange looks from people in parking lots when that thing goes off...

As requested...
Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.