Power Mirror Rebuild

So I ended up buying the above mirror. I figure $36 was worth a shot.

Initial impression. Not bad. The housings are shiny as hell, but it looks to be molded correctly. It just has a modern cheap plastic feel to it.

However, looks like they use the same mirror motor mounting bracket and motor setup. I'll confirm when I pull it apart. I'm basically going to take the guts out of this and put it in my existing housing.

As soon as I get a 9v battery to jog the mirror over, I'll disassemble and post pics.

IMG_4991.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

I'm sure the housing is fine but I'm just very overly anal about originality and prefer to keep my housing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

So I pulled it apart. This mirror is pretty much identical to the oem mirror.

I was able to install the original motor support bracket in the new housing

IMG_4999.JPG

The motor also features clip on mirror style attachments as well as the old post mounting method...so I could put the original mirror on if this one delaminates

IMG_5001.JPG

So basically for $37 you can buy that mirror and swap it into your original housing. This comes in handy if your mirrors are painted, as mine are to match all the window trim/moldings.

The new housings aren't all that bad. Just very, very glossy.
IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

As for the motor, it's a Chinese copy of the original. It's Very silent! Given that any replacement motor you find will likely be Chinese made, this is your best option really.

So, $37 shipped times 2...take the parts you want, or install the entire thing. Your call.

This concludes this thread

Reactions: 2 users
It's more FYI then tech.

Want to fix your mirrors? Buy a new one!

The only real tech here is the howto on removing the motor/glass assembly if you want to use your original housings for various reasons like being painted body color or matching the various other trim work

Looking back, I wish I bought the identical aftermarket mirror for the driver's side. The pass side is nice and silent, but while my driver's side works fine..it's noisy.

No more $30 mirrors on ebay. Oh well.

And yes, after that big "science project" the best solution was to just buy aftermarket mirrors. I swapped the guts but that's because I liked my original housings. Good to know that you can do that....at least with the mirror I bought.

Still have the box and housing. Perhaps I can get some info off it to search and see if it can be bought cheaply off ebay