Suspension Power steering fluid recommendation?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Does anyone have any recommendation for Power Steering fluid in my 83? Pump shows the same from 83-93..
Had some problems with the fluid in my dodge when I got in running... It seems to like the "old school" ATF fluid the best...
Anyone on here had to experiment with different fluids?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
The “power steering fluid” in the chemical isles could be nearly anything for viscosity, sheer strength, etc.if it does not have what standards it meets.
Get Type F ATF, and you’ll also save per Oz.

Reactions: 1 users

limp

Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Thanks for the help
This is a motorcraft pump ( could be the original to the car).. I was cleaning it up to possibly reuse and noticed a shaft leak so I was going to put a new seal on... The entire "kit" was $15 to my door with all of the orings, shaft seal and a new shaft bushing...
Wish me luck....
DSCF0896.JPG

Last edited:

JAA

Oct 2, 2018
Central MA
Thanks for the help
This is a motorcraft pump ( could be the original to the car).. I was cleaning it up to possibly reuse and noticed a shaft leak so I was going to put a new seal on... The entire "kit" was $15 to my door with all of the orings, shaft seal and a new shaft bushing...
Wish me luck....
DSCF0896.JPG
How did the rebuild go? What fluid did you end up going with?

limp

Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Pump rebuild went well.. I could not have done it without the ford service manual... Certain steps were tricky..
One was compressing the internals, to be able to remove a large snap ring... My Spring compressor ( for heads) worked out great for it...
I do not know if it works yet.... I am working on different sub assemblies at this point until I make some room in my garage for the car.... Had to spend some time in the hospital ( twice) recently so it has really fked up my schedule.....
As to the fluid, I have some time to think about it..

When I did my Dodge, I had bad results with PSF, and ended up changing it to Transmission fluid ( like was used when my dodge was new)... Worked much better with the trans fluid.... I cannot remember if I used Type F or Dexron though
DSCF0793.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

limp

Oct 4, 2020
Florida
A pic of the finished product...
Oh, and about the service manual being a help.... It made sure I clocked all of the internal rotors and such in the correct way, not to mention installing them the " right side in".....
DSCF0922.JPG

Reactions: 1 user