Suspension Power steering fluid recommendation?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Does anyone have any recommendation for Power Steering fluid in my 83? Pump shows the same from 83-93..
Had some problems with the fluid in my dodge when I got in running... It seems to like the "old school" ATF fluid the best...
Anyone on here had to experiment with different fluids?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The “power steering fluid” in the chemical isles could be nearly anything for viscosity, sheer strength, etc.if it does not have what standards it meets.
Get Type F ATF, and you’ll also save per Oz.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the help
This is a motorcraft pump ( could be the original to the car).. I was cleaning it up to possibly reuse and noticed a shaft leak so I was going to put a new seal on... The entire "kit" was $15 to my door with all of the orings, shaft seal and a new shaft bushing...
Wish me luck....
DSCF0896.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the help
This is a motorcraft pump ( could be the original to the car).. I was cleaning it up to possibly reuse and noticed a shaft leak so I was going to put a new seal on... The entire "kit" was $15 to my door with all of the orings, shaft seal and a new shaft bushing...
Wish me luck....
DSCF0896.JPG
How did the rebuild go? What fluid did you end up going with?

Pump rebuild went well.. I could not have done it without the ford service manual... Certain steps were tricky..
One was compressing the internals, to be able to remove a large snap ring... My Spring compressor ( for heads) worked out great for it...
I do not know if it works yet.... I am working on different sub assemblies at this point until I make some room in my garage for the car.... Had to spend some time in the hospital ( twice) recently so it has really fked up my schedule.....
As to the fluid, I have some time to think about it..

When I did my Dodge, I had bad results with PSF, and ended up changing it to Transmission fluid ( like was used when my dodge was new)... Worked much better with the trans fluid.... I cannot remember if I used Type F or Dexron though
DSCF0793.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
A pic of the finished product...
Oh, and about the service manual being a help.... It made sure I clocked all of the internal rotors and such in the correct way, not to mention installing them the " right side in".....
DSCF0922.JPG

Reactions: 1 user