power steering problem on 5.0 conversion

67coupe2010

Jan 17, 2009
Howdy, this is my first post. I realize I’m a bit naive at 21, but I love working on cars. I’ve had my 67 for 7 years now and decided to take on a major project with it last summer. Me and my dad swapped the 289 3 speed automatic for a 5.0 EFI with a T5 out of a 88 mustang. We have pretty much got it done with a few minor kinks left.
We used the front pulley system off of the 88. We are using the 88 power steering pump with the 67 rack and pinion. We had the pressure hose made to use the respective connector ends. The problem is that the hose is bursting. The line twist from the pressure and hits the long tube headers when the wheels are completely turned.
I am wondering what the best option would be and whether or not it will work, with price being a key issue being in college and what not.
1) Use the pump off the 67 on with a serpentine pulley.
a. How would I modify it to bolt on
b. Will it eliminate the twisting
2) Put shorty headers on
a. Would the collectors interfere
b. Would hose bust from twisting anyway, without hitting anything
3) Change out the rack and pinion (Taurus style or something similar)
a. I’m assuming cost would be the biggest issue
b. Would clearance be a concern
Thank you for any feed back
Respectfully, Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think I've seen any 67 that came with a rack and pinion steering system.
Where is the hose bursting? On the top side, or on the bottom side? Is there no where you can tie off from underneath to prevent movement?
I just put a 5.0 out of an 83 Bronco in my 67 Cougar. I used the front end stuff off of the 289, including the power steering stuff. So far so good.

sorry, i ment the the cylinder opposed to the rack and pinion. the problem is, if i were to tie it up, it the hose would not be able to flex and the added pressure would blow it out. when it hits the headers, that built up pressure of not being able to fully twist is causing the hose to burst. the line that is breaking is the top high pressure hose that runs from the pump to the cylinder.

I'm sure you realized and thought of it, but i'm going to throw it out there anyways.

Power steering takes special high pressure hoses, make sure your using the right ones.

I swapped my car to big block hoses, they route under the crossmember rather than beside the exhaust like a 302/289. Might fix your routing issue if header contact is the problem.

I swapped my car to big block hoses, they route under the crossmember rather than beside the exhaust like a 302/289. Might fix your routing issue if header contact is the problem.

That is exactly what I was going to do. I blew about 7 pressure hoses because they kept hitting my long tube headers. If I didnt go with the Rack and Pinion conversion (no more moving hoses) I would have done that. Just get the big block hose bracket, return line and have a new pressure line made up with the correct length. You should get the bracket and the return hose first and install them , then measure for your pressure hose and then have it made.

I used the Big Block hose routed under the cross member as well. Works great for me. Now if I just get the P/S pump to stop whining all the time. It's kind of cool though, sounds like I have a blower under the hood.:rlaugh:

the big block bracket that you are refering to, is it holding the line or the pump? and i am assuming you still used the newer pump with the serpintine set up... i am also assuming that you're referencing a 67 big block...
Respectfully, Jeremy