Power Steering Problem

Megaman_js

Apr 20, 2004
I have an 82 Mustang GT that i just finished replacing my leaking rack with a used rack from a newer 5.0 (86 I believe). Rack appeared to be in good shape. Anyway now that it is back together, i filled with fluid started my car up and everytime i try to turn the wheel it fights me to turn the other direction. What did i do wrong? Are the hoses backwards or is it a bad rack or what? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 82 Mustang GT that i just finished replacing my leaking rack with a used rack from a newer 5.0 (86 I believe). Rack appeared to be in good shape. Anyway now that it is back together, i filled with fluid started my car up and everytime i try to turn the wheel it fights me to turn the other direction. What did i do wrong? Are the hoses backwards or is it a bad rack or what? :bang:

Did your car have TRX option? I believe if you did the racks are indeed different.

although it kinda makes cents if return and power line were switched if it were possible....

I do not know about the TRX option but the racks looked to be exact matches. As far as getting the lines backwards...they really only fit together one way but i guess it is possible.

Tell me this.....are both lines premade (molded)? Both at bottom near rack and where it attaches to pump. I thought that the pressure side was totally molded and return side uses a slip on rubber hose. I can check for your tomorrow in daylight which fitting is which.

Also TRW racks had different valve housing on the top of the rack. I dont believe that having a non-TRW rack would cause what your expierencing though.

I know one line if premade on both ends and one is premade on one end and slip on on the other. I did not bleed the system by turning the wheels like you said. I will give that a try.

There are two lines from the Power Steering Pump. One near the filler neck and one at the bottom. There are two ports on the rack for the pump line to screw into one is higher that the other. Which line goes to which port? the one near the filler neck to the bottom port on the rack and the bottom line on the pump to the top port on the rack or top to top bottom to bottom? Does that make any sense?

sorry almost forgot to check

upper fitting on rack is the return line that connects to bottom of power steering pump (one fitted end, hose clamp on other end)

lower fitting on rack is the pressure side going directly into the side of power steering rack.

See what you got...

Okay, i have some kind of cooler (Metal line that runs infront of my radiator) but ultimatly the bottom line on the pump runs to the top port on the rack and the side line on the pump runs to the bottom port on the rack, just as you described above. How do i go about properly bleeding the rack?

excellent!

make sure level in power steering pump is adequate, start engine and turn steering wheel all the way to the left, than all the way to the right, than back to left, than back to right, ect. Try it 4 times and see what happens. Must be complete full steering wheel rotations.

Can you verify that the used rack was working well? Also was this rack you installed from a GT model which is a quick rotio?

It was out of a GT. I have bought parts from this guy before all in working order but there is always a chance that it does not work. Do I lift the car off the wheels before i do this or disconnect any hoses?

Something has got to be wrong. I did it with the wheels off the ground and it just freaked out. Stright up like it was possesed or something. Any pressure to the wheel and it was just bouce back and fourth crazy like.

I think the rack is bad. Even when the car is off there is still pressure when i turn the wheel. I have to turn the wheel so far, let the pressure die down, then i can turn the wheel some more.