Power Steering Pump Puking...

robbz28

Sep 23, 2009
Epps, LA
I have a factory style thompson pump on my 67 coupe. I have replaced the control valve, all the hoses, and got a remanufactured pump and a new slave cylinder. It's even filled with the correct Type F fluid.
It all works like its supposed to, but sometimes it has a fit and pukes fluid out of the top usually AFTER I kill the car. My main thought initially was overfill...but i filled it when hot this last time to the "all fluid" mark to verify that I hadn't overfilled it. I drove it to work this morning (30 miles) I noticed when turning in to work the steering was a little labored (I thought it was because of the low rpms, and may well have been) but when i went outside to get lunch i noticed a nice puddle beneath the pump with evidence of fluid leaking from out of the filler neck and the dipstick wasn't securely seated anymore either (as if it had been blown out). Anyway, if anyone else has had this issue and has any advice, I would appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

As with many things, HEAT is your enemy! Not sure about Mustangs, but many Ford trucks had a supplemental power steering fluid cooler, much like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_05146_1122657_2542&pt=05146&ppt=C0031

and some simply had a couple of zig-zags of steel tubing. This was because of the fact they were notorious for overheating the fluid and puking and/or failing. Another PLUS of adding a cooler is increased fluid capacity. By the way, your car looks AWESOME in the video of your other recent post. One question though, is your factory oil pressure gauge "non- functional"?:p
Gene

Thanks...my pump did fine on the way home...got home and no leaks. As for my factory gauges...well they're moody. I have put in new sending units, a fancy electronic I've and sometimes they do right...I don't worry about them that's what the mechanical ones are for. Eventually I want to replace the entire gauge assembly with some good gauges.

Are you running headers? If so do you have the drop down bracket so the slave cylinder doesn't touch the headers. My dad had the same trouble and used a cooler to no avail. After The car was passed on to me I went to put on some headers and noticed that my dad had the stock drop bracket and the slave cylinder was rubbing against the headers.

I figured out the problem, and I do have the drop bracket in place. Dumb ol me was filling up the reservoir when it was cool....once the pump got hot it was spewing it everywhere, I finally got an accurate Hot reading and it has been great since.