• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Power Steering Pump Puking...

  • Thread starter Thread starter robbz28
  • Start date Start date Jun 13, 2012

robbz28

10 Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
775
5
39
Epps, LA
Jun 13, 2012
#1
  • Jun 13, 2012
  • #1
I have a factory style thompson pump on my 67 coupe. I have replaced the control valve, all the hoses, and got a remanufactured pump and a new slave cylinder. It's even filled with the correct Type F fluid.
It all works like its supposed to, but sometimes it has a fit and pukes fluid out of the top usually AFTER I kill the car. My main thought initially was overfill...but i filled it when hot this last time to the "all fluid" mark to verify that I hadn't overfilled it. I drove it to work this morning (30 miles) I noticed when turning in to work the steering was a little labored (I thought it was because of the low rpms, and may well have been) but when i went outside to get lunch i noticed a nice puddle beneath the pump with evidence of fluid leaking from out of the filler neck and the dipstick wasn't securely seated anymore either (as if it had been blown out). Anyway, if anyone else has had this issue and has any advice, I would appreciate it.
 

horseballz

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2009
824
19
49
Las Vegas, NV
Jun 13, 2012
#2
  • Jun 13, 2012
  • #2
As with many things, HEAT is your enemy! Not sure about Mustangs, but many Ford trucks had a supplemental power steering fluid cooler, much like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_05146_1122657_2542&pt=05146&ppt=C0031

and some simply had a couple of zig-zags of steel tubing. This was because of the fact they were notorious for overheating the fluid and puking and/or failing. Another PLUS of adding a cooler is increased fluid capacity. By the way, your car looks AWESOME in the video of your other recent post. One question though, is your factory oil pressure gauge "non- functional"?
Gene
 

robbz28

10 Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
775
5
39
Epps, LA
Jun 13, 2012
#3
  • Jun 13, 2012
  • #3
Thanks...my pump did fine on the way home...got home and no leaks. As for my factory gauges...well they're moody. I have put in new sending units, a fancy electronic I've and sometimes they do right...I don't worry about them that's what the mechanical ones are for. Eventually I want to replace the entire gauge assembly with some good gauges.
 

Edster

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2000
500
1
19
League City, Texas
Jul 8, 2012
#4
  • Jul 8, 2012
  • #4
Are you running headers? If so do you have the drop down bracket so the slave cylinder doesn't touch the headers. My dad had the same trouble and used a cooler to no avail. After The car was passed on to me I went to put on some headers and noticed that my dad had the stock drop bracket and the slave cylinder was rubbing against the headers.
 

robbz28

10 Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
775
5
39
Epps, LA
Jul 9, 2012
#5
  • Jul 9, 2012
  • #5
I figured out the problem, and I do have the drop bracket in place. Dumb ol me was filling up the reservoir when it was cool....once the pump got hot it was spewing it everywhere, I finally got an accurate Hot reading and it has been great since.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
545
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
B
Idler pulley as substitute for Power Steering Pump ?
  • Bhenders
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
5
Views
264
Other Auto Tech Jul 16, 2026
LILCBRA
O
Sooty/Oily Front Engine & Pulleys
  • ozenator
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
402
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 22, 2026
Blackhawkxx
S
Need help asap
  • shaggyman65
  • Dec 24, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
288
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 24, 2025
shaggyman65
S
M
85 Capri 5.0 transmission rattle
  • Mamaclean
  • May 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
206
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 17, 2026
Mamaclean
M
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?