Power Steering Pump whine

1hot87gt

5 Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
New York
Needed a new ps pump for my 87 Fox. Looked high and low and no one makes new units for our cars. I never liked to use reman parts if I could avoid them, but in this instance, I had no choice. Went through 4 pumps. All whine. It works perfectly, steers fine, no leaks. Original one started leaking, but never whined. Has anyone else had similar issues? And is there maybe a better fluid or an additive that will quiet it down? The only saving grace is that at least the whine isn’t as loud as the supercharger. Lol

• Sponsors (?)

Type F is what's required with original pimps, but the remans may be able to run different fluid. Need to see wgats recommended by the renanufacturer.

I still run my original 1988 pump but was able to quiet it down by draining the entire system and refilling it with type F and putting a vacuum pump on the resevior while turning wheel side to side. Made a huge difference. Still whines, but nowhere what it uses to do

My pump has 150k on it, barely here it, when I changed the rack I filled it with power steering fluid and ran the engine with the return line into a bucket and kept the pump full, flushing the system, used a little more than 2 quarts. Like I said barely hear it, I only use power steering fluid.
but that's just me.

Motorcraft power steering fluid. Interesting. I definitely didn’t bleed it at all. I gotta check fluid level again, maybe there was an air pocket, but I’m pretty sure it’s full.

Update. Sucked about 8oz of PS fluid out of pump with wife’s turkey Baster. That didn’t go over well. Anyway, I then added 4oz of LubeGard power steering treatment and another 4oz of Lucas PS additive. Did the trick. Much quieter.

Reactions: 1 users
Good for you man! I had this nightmare with a Ford Ranger one time. I could not for the life of me get it to quite down at all! I swapped out 2 and eventually said :leghump: it and bought a used Ford one and that was it. Those used pumps are garbage.