Power window switches. WTF?

1hot87gt

5 Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
New York
Hey everybody. Bit of a dilemma. Have a power window switch on the passenger side that was out completely, and one of the switches on the driver side was sticking. Before we go any further, I have an 87 GT Hatch. Ok. So I figure since the switches are original I’ll treat myself to three new ones. So I go on to the LMR website as I’ve done a hundred times before, and ordered me up some parts. Well they came, and let me tell you, I am far from impressed. First off, they came in these cheap looking little white boxes that said made in China. Hmmm. So I open them up and the first thing I notice is how much lighter in weight they are compared to one of the original switches I had already taken out. But I figure, you know what, let’s just see. So, I install all three. First off, let me say, they did fix the problem of the non working switch, and the sticky switch. Everything works. But they look TERRIBLE. And they are so flat. The original switch is much higher and sticks way up past the bezel so you can easily press it. These switches are almost recessed, is the only way I can describe it. So I pulled one out and held it side by side to an original. Its flatter and wider, and just looks and feels cheap in the car.

I must commend LMR customer service though. I called up and complained about the quality and they were very willing to refund me, as well as not even asking me to send them back. They are great.

But now I am still looking for switches. Does anybody know where I can find some that resemble what came in the car originally. I know they probably won’t be a perfect match, but something close. Any original but used switches I can find on eBay are totally thrashed looking. I wouldn’t waste my time or money putting them in my car. Has anybody had to deal with this, and if so, how did you handle it?

• Sponsors (?)

Your complaint is well founded and shared. From the research I've done I belive the mid 1980s Ford Tempo power windows motors are available and are compatible with some minor modification. Other than that it's relying on aftermarket suppliers or your local junk yard/ebay.

Thanks for the reply. It’s not the motor that’s the issue, it’s the switches. After I posted this I went on NPD website. They had, you ready for this, 2 power window switches made by Motorcraft. That’s gotta be better than what I got from LMR. And the reviews said they were spot on in quality and appearance. So I’m gonna give it a shot. Of course I needed 3 and all they had was 2, but I think I can salvage one of the original switches that were in the car and be ok.

My mistake. I glanced over your post and assumed wrongly that you were referring to the motors.

I've also replaced my switches. All of them. You're right in that they're not Ford OEM quality. Try reaching out to Foxresto.com They may have some NOS switches.

C796BE4C-A8E4-4497-A688-907B5416AFF7.jpeg
Wife is making dinner. Wants to know what these random parts are on her cutting board. She is beside herself.

I will make one good switch out of these three believe you me.

There should be someone out there with new old stock switches
I have several working ones in my toolbox I use for test
ebay has a new oem master switch for a convertible
There is also a used one that looks real good for a coupe or lx

If/when you tear it apart or whatever you plan on doing, take pics and show us what you did, even if it fails.
I fixed my gas door button by just being curious and taking it apart, found it just needs cleaning.

Reactions: 1 user
I shot some compressed air like what you clean a computer keyboard with into the best of the three followed by a small shot of silicone. Snapped the sharpest looking of the three buttons onto that switch and reinstalled on the passenger side. Works perfectly. Now the two new ones can go side by side on the drivers side and we should be in business.

What I found that I thought was pretty cool was the switch that came out of the passenger side originally, that’s the one that was completely dead, had the Ford logo on it, Ford part #, and said Singer across the bottom. Didn’t that company make sewing machines back in the day? The two switches that came out of the drivers side were visibly different, no Ford logo or part #, no Singer marking, just a small MM on them. I’ve had the car since 1997. It was 10 years old when I bought it. I’ve never changed the switches. So either both of the drivers side ones were changed prior to me buying the car, or that’s how they were built, with the MM switches on one side, and a Singer unit on the other.

I don’t know, I just think it’s a cool piece of the car’s history. I’m usually one who throws stuff out, but I’m definitely holding on to the old switches.

Reactions: 1 user
True story about fixing them
If you were to go to a BMW dealer asking about window switches
They would chuckle and ask if you cleaned them and the contacts
The older ones never need to be replaced
The ford ones are cheap enough I have never cleaned a Ford switch

The original Motorcraft switches are still available. The window switches are about $30 but the door lock switches are $80 each.

I bought some of the last Motorcraft switches (when they were cheaper) and the quality wasn’t on par with OEM. It’s made by a new vendor, and while better than what LMr sells ( which is a repackaged parts house brand) you can tell the original stuff is much nicer.

I think what I ultimately ended up doing was just removing the rocker plates and installing them on my oe switches.

Let me see if I can dig up the Motorcraft part numbers

Edit:

SW-7061 (driver's side door lock)
SW-7060 (pass side door lock
SW-7062 (window switch)

Still can find them on eBay but those door lock switches are pricey

Last edited:
C796BE4C-A8E4-4497-A688-907B5416AFF7.jpeg
Wife is making dinner. Wants to know what these random parts are on her cutting board. She is beside herself.

I will make one good switch out of these three believe you me.
Wait till she comes home one day and finds a set of valve covers in the dishwasher and a resilient film of engine sludge covering the inside. :shrug:

She'll forget all about the switches sitting on the counter. :nice:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users