Electrical Power Windows No Longer Work. Power Door Locks When Turned Off

Sparrow2121

Aug 9, 2015
91 convertible gt 5.0. All of a sudden none of the windows work and the power door locks will only work when car is turned off and you wait about 20 seconds. When car ignition is turned on ( doesn't matter if engine is running) then power door locks dont work at all. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Good Idea, since I lose the 12 volts as soon as I turn the ignition from off to on. I will poke around for the troubleshooting guide for the ignition switch, unless someone already has a quick link / steps for this?

no other issues. The ONLY issue, is the door locks will operate fine, until I turn ignition from off to on. w/o even starting the car, just turning the ignition out of the off position kills power to the door windows / power lock switch

OK.. I replaced the ignition switch (was loose and needed done anyway) and that didn't fix it. I wanted to replaced some burned out bulbs in my instrument cluster and while it was apart I noticed some burned traces on the printed circuit board. I hooked battery up with instrument cluster removed and now door locks work!!!.. I put cluster back in, the quit when ignition is turned on.. So it appears I have a faulty cluster

That's a first time I have ever heard of that, but if it worked for you, it must be part of the problem.

Keep in mind that the clusters are different. The 87-89 are one group, and 90-93 are the other group. You want a cluster from a 90-93 Mustang.