Pre Swap Help /w 2.3 Turbo

fouredmustang

Mar 28, 2008
Alright I just gave a new home to a used 2.3 turbo engine. So now I am trying to get all my pre-swap work done so I'll have a smooth transition over as possible. This is my first engine swap but I'm looking forward to it. (Thank goodness I have a 5 speed tranny)

Major Tune Up

1) Brand New Parts. I'm giving the engine a major tune up with new accessory belts, a rubber valve cover gasket, thermostat and gasket. I also ordered a clutch kit from summit racing the RAM 88618.

2) Used Parts. I'm bringing over some parts from my n/a 2.3 such as the spark plugs/plug wires/distributor cap and 75 amp alternator.

There seems to be rust spots on parts such as the exhaust manifold which seems to be normal because I have rust on mine too, can I just sand that out? How should I clean the engine before installing it? I was just going to bag and tape over holes, degrease the engine then hose it down, and sand out rust spots.

3) After doing research I apparently didnt need to buy the entire wiring harness from the Turbo Bird. The wiring part is the part I am concerned with the most, what sort of labeling and prep work should be done? Stinger says I dont even need the entire harness. I've never really worked with wiring much so this will be new. The guide says I should leave the entire Mustang wiring harness in the car is this true?

If you all can think of any preswap work I still need to do let me know please! :nice:

I have a total of 4 days to get this done next week so I'm starting to come up with a schedule of how I plan on doing this. I'll post it later. Not to mention I do not have access to the engine right now, since I work far away from home. But I'll be home next week.

• Sponsors (?)

I wish I were posting some good anwers to your questions, but I'm just here for moral support as I haven't personally performed this swap. It's rolling around in my brain as one of the engine options I'm considering for my project, so I will certainly be paying close attention to this thread. Hopefully some of the master swappers will come soon to help you out on the wiring details.

As far as cleaning the old enige, as you said, tape off and bag up anything you don't water water in. I can suggest using some Simple Green, brushes and a pressure washer. That will get the engine certainly clean enough to work with as you are putting it into your Mustang. Don't worry about the rusty exhaust parts. The become rusty about 17 minutes after they leave the factory, so you're chasing a ghost if you're trying to keep them clean looking. If you want to sand down the rough spots on the manifold and hit it with some high-temp paint, there's no harm in that.

Good luck!:nice: