Premium Fuel

I just ran into the same situation. Apparently the gas station pump accounts for fuel density (changes in volume due to temperature) while the on-board computer only accounts for fuel flow.

that's why i always buy gas at night. when it's cooler and dense. plus using the fuel pump on the "low flow" notch on the nozzle gets you more fuel than "high flow" notch; less air to be sucked in and registered as fuel... there is a write up on it. I'll try to find it later...

By cleaner I meant more efficient and motor safe, which it is. But given the amount of fuel additives in most high octane deliveries, it IS a clean burning fuel. As far the internal motor parts are concerned.

And as most know by the time the fuel hits the combustion chamber taking in to account density and tempurture....91 becomes a couple points lower in it's actual octane rating as does 87.

So the higher the better.

This is the second time I've seen that, and I can tell you that the change in density of gasoline from a ~20 degree change in temperature is going to be insignificant. Not to mention the tanks are normally underground and will only see a nominal change in temp.

The pump speed I doubt, but it's possible and I have nothing to contradict it.
Dan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Since the S197 GT was engineered to run on 87 octane, you're not getting any more power using 93 octane unless there are some problems with the powertrain/fuel delivery (hotspots, clogged injectors, etc...)

That's what I was thinking.

Also, as a point of interest since we're talking fuel here. I live in Denver, CO and I use 91 octane with a 93 performance tune on a CL7140 from Diablosport. I also have the C&L "street" CAI.

Anyways, I am to do this because the air is so damn thin up here. Colorado is not a very good place for go fast cars.

I typically use 87 but sometimes it just runs like poo, maybe bad gas or the ethanol in it or something but when that happens I mix in 89 and everything is fine. When I do track events I go with 89 to prevent detonation since I'm running higher temps and putting more stress on things. I plan to get a tuner soon, though to run 93.