Pretty irritated right now

ctrout71

Feb 2, 2010
I picked up a set of GT40 heads "from a 93 Cobra" a while back and finally decided to install them so I ordered my ARP bolts. Since this head supposedly came from a Cobra, I didn't bother to verify the bolt hole size. When the bolts got here, I started setting everything up to do the swap and I found out that the bolt holes measure exactly 1/2" across so now I've wasted $50 on bolts I can't use! I went with the 154-3701 ARP bolts. Which ones should I have gotten, or is there a set of adapter bushings or something I can buy? Oh, and what would you all suggest I do about being lied to about the heads?

• Sponsors (?)

They may be Lightning heads, or drilled out for a 351W. There are bushings made to adapt the 351W heads to the 5.0. No big deal.The seller may have thought they were Cobra heads. Who knows. The same way so many people call Explorer intakes "Cobra" and GT-40" intakes. Either way, buy the bushings and you'll be fine.

Our 93 Cobra also had 1/2" holes from the factory, no bushings installed with the 7/16" bolts. We also added the bushings down the road when the head started lifting under boost.