Problem priming oil pump

I have this crate engine from T and L engines. Since it's Saturday, I can't reach them.
As a crate engine, this engine must ship dry (no fluids at all). It has a larger than stock oil pan.

I've had it almost a year and I'm just now filling with oil and wanted to prime the oil pump.

I have the tool which connects a drill to the oil pump.
I'm running this counter-clockwise and it's not building any pressure whatsoever.

On 3 occassions, I've run for 30-45 seconds each and nothing.

I don't want to keep doing this as I've primed oil pumps in the past and I can't recall encountering this kind of delay.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-D

• Sponsors (?)

How many quarts did you put in it? Pull the filter and see if oil is flowing? I am not sure but I think the pump turns clockwise. Could be wrong on this one. If all else fails pull the pan and make sure the pump is turning.

You should definitely pull the pan and have a look at everything. I have heard of instances where the pump wouldn't draw oil up from the pan on the initial priming because of cavitation. If everything looks good, pack the pump with some white lithium grease, reassemble, and give it another try. I'd put good money on that solving the problem, but I'm a broke SOB, so you'll just have to give it a shot. ;)

PROBLEM SOLVED... and it's quite simple.

I used the priming tool that I last used after a 351C build. It's a 5/16" size....which also works on 351, 400, 429, and 460s.

The tool I need is for a 302... which is 1/4"... and will also work on 390 & 428s.

Live-n-learn. Just learned that O'Reilly carries this tool... so I can rent it for free.