Problem With My 1967 Mustang With A 390

Feb 24, 2016
I'm 18 and drive a 1967 mustang 390 twice a week. I know you're thinking I'm probably just a spoiled brat that has no idea how to work on classics, but I'm very mechanically inclined. My dad and I have always had muscle cars, and I was always there helping him work on them, and learning how to fix them. Recently, I was coming home from school, and I noticed that my car was over revving, and not shifting when it was supposed to. It would get really loud, and then shift, it had never done this before. I also noticed that the oil pressure was spiking, and now whenever I start it up, almost instantaneously goes to high. I at first thought it could possibly be a head gasket, but as of now, I have no clue what is wrong with it, and neither does my father. If anyone has the slightest clue as to what this could be, your input will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

+1 on a mechanical gauge if only to check and make sure it's where it's supposed to be. I also agree with horse sence on the transmission sounding like the culprit. Could be the valve body as suggested, and it also sounds a little like lack of transmission fluid for whatever reason. Maybe you're low, maybe the pump is starting to go bad, or maybe it's just time for a rebuild? I'd start with the easy/least expensive stuff and go from there. Check your fluid level and condition. Then, maybe a fluid change and band adjustment as well as checking out the valvebody. Hope it's an easy fix like these for you! Good luck!