ProComp Head problems?

Hey i know its been a long time since i was on, so hey everyone. i had other interests occuping my time. any way i have seen the error of my ways and come back to the car! so here is the issue at hand, i am soon to return to the states and my projects and once again have been considering my engine options. I am currently considering cams and heads. I came across a set of ProComp heads for a good price comparitivly... i have researched on here about ProComp heads and found the consensus is dont waste the money they are crap but i havent really seen what is crappy about them or if they may have gained in quality since then (I think the newest post i saw about them was 03 or 04) or are there other better lower budget offerings in the range of 205cc? As always any opinions are helpful and appriciated.

BTW this is going on an aftermarket block with a 427 W setup in it havent fully settled on a cam but i am looking at Comp Cams 35-522-8 Xtreme energy... i will take any and all advice i can get! thanks and hope all is well with everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

Guy locally sells the **** out of them. Says 90% have come back with problems including dropping seats in engines. They barely flow over a stock head. For the love of god don't build a short like that and put on that junk. I'd feel safer porting a set of stockers

that is what i was looking for, so any recomendations on a good head that will be good for my application? lookin for some decent mid to high grunt in the torque area... i was looking into the FAST XFI injection kit for that end of things...

if you want a good set of heads for your motor in the 205cc intake range, pony up the money for a set of afr205's or world products windsor sr heads, or the trick flow twisted wedge heads. these are reasonably priced in iron or aluminum, and will mop the floor with the pro comp heads. if you want even better heads, step up to something like canfields or roush heads.

You can even get a set of victor jr's for a decent price. I bought some that had dyno time and a small amount of street time for pretty cheap. RHS heads also seem to be damn good for the money. AFR is really nice, but not cheap at all. With a 427 though, you really need something at least in the 205-210 cfm intake range. Dont over look exhaust CFM either though.

Thanks that is the impression i was getting from reading around on the ******* forum.

Wicked~ so minimum 205 average cfm or peak? and whats a good exhaust cfm to consider? its not going to be a drag car more of a twisty runner... that would effect the RPM range i want it to operate in and therefore the powercurve... but what effect does the cfm have on power curves? anyone know?

What rear end gearing are you planning on running? What wheel and tire combo? When you say:
"not going to be a drag car more of a twisty runner"
What does that mean? Do you live in the Rockies, and are thinking about Pikes Peak? Rear gearing and wheel/tire diameter will help determine where your power band will be used, as well as the engines ability to make power.
A 4.11~5.13 will put you in your power band way quicker than a 3.25. Do you want the engine to live at 6500+ RPM, or only visit?

Firemansam-
I would say the best thing you can do, is talk to someone to sells and deals with all kinds of racecars and street cars all the time. Give Alex at Money Maker Racing a call. Ive spent TONS of money and time on the phone with him. And he has never led me astray. I dont know if your over sea's right now or not. But give him a call at 219-861-1214. Tell him Greg Rachel from california sent you,and he will take care of you.

Since a 427 is going to move a ton of air, im pretty sure something in the AFR 205- 225cc range is what he will recomend. Since road courses usually keep a engine in the upper RPM band, you want to make sure your springs, rockers , push rods and lifters are up to par. As they will take alot of abuse. You will probably want either a victor jr, or super victor intake. But that might be the speed demon in me sayin that. Dual plane intake might be better. Like i said, give Alex a call.

Good Luck.

Vic jr's ftmfw. I think he means 205-225 cc heads, not the flow. I would do a 300cfm head if you could. A vic jr with a little work will do 300+ without getting crazy. Edelbrock stuff if heli coil-ed alos, and just made from better material than AFR. Either way your total goal will determine the head size and rating

I'd personally go with a highport on a 427 engine. Way more room to grow with a highport than any of the heads mentioned.

******* is great but I personally can't deal with jays big ego.

Ale should be good to talk to, never spoke with him bout engines but Duane busch is a really nice guy to work with off hc50 and you won't some jerk with an ego complex.

Woodsnake~ i mean that with this car it will be a part time autocross/track day car and part time drive to work and such. and i will be running 3.00 gears for now... may change later on to something else but at this juncture that is what i have... they are behind a 4 speed toploader... or will be once i get home.

10secgoal~ that is pretty much what i was thinking just tryin to get some verifications on this.... and i am lookin at a set of Vic Jr. with the 210cc intake i believe it is... just havent fully decided what i am going to do since i still have a couple months till time to go home still planning and gathering info. What do you mean by total goal though? If you mean what will the purpose of the car be, it will be streetable but still hold its own on the track without gettin too crazy...

Well, if you are planning on driving it on the street any distance, I'd cam it for a ~3.50~ rear end gear, as long as you are going to stick with the four speed. If you are thinking about an upgrade to a 5 speed down the road, then maybe a 3.70 gear or so.
I think with that much motor, and a 3.0 gear though, you won't be very happy.....What other suspension mods do you have planned to go with the car for its track time?

I will probably upgrade to a 3.25 or 3.5 gear when i upgrade the positrac to something better suited but that will come... I am going with a custom built four link in the rear similar to TCPs set up. and a coilover set up for the front with it mounted to the LCA with shelby drop and apropriate extras... If i ever upgrade the trans it will likely be to a richmond 6 speed, i am not a fan of the T5 line of trannys due to what is required to make them fit right like cuttin up the tunnel and such, just dont really wanna do that...

I put a T5 in my 68 Cougar, I didn't have to make any mods to the floor. But, a PO had installed a 3+1 OD trans, so there was a bigger hole already. But, I don't think it would have taken more than an inch, if that to make the opening the right size...

65coupe408w~ thanks for the input! what size are those heads? intake volume and flow?

10secgoal~ I dont really have a HP number, I want somewhere around 550 lbft of torque or better and the power can be at or above 500...

woodsnake~ hmm well still i am not exactly a fan of them... i may change my mind over the years but as of now i dont like them and feel they are some what over used IMHO... no biggie though...