Progress Thread: Project Whinin' 99 (pics)

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
Hey guys, I figured it was time for me to start a progress thread for my 1999 GT. I know that I really need some better pictures to post, but it's about 20 degrees here in New York in February. :( You've probably all seen it by now, but I'm getting ready to do some more mods and I figured now was as good a time as any to start my thread. Feel free to make any comments and/or suggestions.

My plans are to hit a (conservative) power goal of 650/650 with this car by bringing the fuel system and supporting mods up to par, and then eventually upgrading the blower to a twin screw Kenne Bell or Whipple. The car definitely needs a street cage. I'm contemplating making the switch to E85, but I need to research how available it is here in NY. I plan on getting some Corbeau LG1's (black and grey microsuede) and having the rears recovered to match. I'd also like to do Termi bumpers, front and rear, as well as Cobra mirrors and side skirts. Wheels are up in the air right now, but all I know is those 325's I have in the back right now are WAY TOO BIG, haha.

Mods:
-1999 Mustang GT (35th anniversary, but who cares)
-2003 Terminator motor swap with 17k miles
-Amazon 3.0" inch pulley
-UPR auxilliary pulley (idler)
-Art Carr C4 tranny and converter, 4000 stall with reverse manual valve body and trans brake
-SFI flex plate and bellhousing
-455hp/457tq (on a safe 93 octane tune, 12.5 lbs of boost)
-QA1 Tubular K-Member
-Manual steering rack
-Complete Mach 1 brake swap
-Mach 1 Grill Delete
-Eibach Drag Springs
-Lakewood 90/10 struts and 50/50 shocks
-air intake shield with velocity filter
-Subframe connectors (bolted and welded)
-A/C delete
-Mishimoto aluminum radiator (2 row/3 core)
-LFP dual-bipass heat exchanger
-big aluminum expansion tank (black powder coated)
-custom aluminum driveshaft
-UPR upper and lower control arms
-solid rear axle w/31 spline and 3:73 gears
-MAC Prochamber w/MAC catback and 3" chrome tips
-Braille lightweight race battery (17 lbs)
-Procar Scat racing seats
-Cobra R 3" fiberglass hood
-Cobra trunk lid
-black Saleen replicas (87-93 style) 17x9 w/Nitto 255/45/17 and 17x10 with M&H 325/45/17
drag radials
-AEM UEGO Wideband A/F sensor
-Autometer gauge pod

I was told the car went 11.20 @ 124 mph as it sits, but I don't have slips to prove it.

Pics:
99gt006.jpg

99gt001.jpg

99gt004.jpg

99gt002.jpg

99gt003.jpg

99gt005.jpg

The first thing I did was remove that K&N breather the previous owner had on the passenger side valve cover (seen in the picturee above), and uncapped the nipple the stock hose hooks to (he had it taped shut with electrical tape). I sourced out the stock OEM hose that connects the valve cover to the air intake tube and reconnected it. There was some oil on the valve cover and on the little K&N filter element. Do you guys think it did any damage? I only drove the car a few times with that K&N on there.

Next I installed my AEM UEGO Wideband A/F gauge on the A-Pillar, above my Autometer boost gauge.

99002.jpg

Then I set up my Autometer gauge pod with a Sport Comp tachometer, oil pressure, and water temperature gauge. The pod fits well and looks factory. New GT500s have a pod in the same location on the dash, I think it looks awesome. It is NOT installed yet, I simply set it down on the dash to see how it will look installed.

b6_1_b.jpg

99006.jpg

99003.jpg

99004.jpg

More mods to come, stay tuned! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Looks pretty awesome!

What transmission do you have in there? Do you know what the gear ratios are in it? Hows the street traction with those M&H rears, do they slip at all?

Looks pretty awesome!

What transmission do you have in there? Do you know what the gear ratios are in it? Hows the street traction with those M&H rears, do they slip at all?

Thanks!! The transmission is an Art Carr C4 (non L/U) with trans brake and 4000 stall. I believe it was the "Total Dominator" kit listed in the magazines and on the Art Carr website. It's a three speed, obviously, but I'm not sure of the gear ratios off the top of my head.

The M&H drag radials hook HARD, they're awesome. Just a word of caution, though: they'll sling rocks on your rear quarters like a mother F'er. :nice:

The car looks good as it is IMO Chris. Personally, I would keep the stock GT front & rear bumpers, but add a mach chin spoiler, & 03 Cobra side skirts. I would also look into a regular set of 315/35/17' for the rear. Yeah, terminator bumpers look nice, but IMO, I like the sleeper look the car currently has. Yeah the car doesn't look like a stock GT, but most people will not know whats lurking under the hood when they see the car. Adding termi bumpers will make it look like any other silver Cobra on the road.... Just my .02...

What about MT ET Street Radial II 315/35/17?

I think I'm going to try those out this spring.

My NT555R's just wont cut it with 4.10 gears, 2.97 1st gear, and 411 rwtq. They even slip a bit in 2nd. I havent tried them out at the track, but I want my tires to hook on the street too.

The car looks good as it is IMO Chris. Personally, I would keep the stock GT front & rear bumpers, but add a mach chin spoiler, & 03 Cobra side skirts. I would also look into a regular set of 315/35/17' for the rear. Yeah, terminator bumpers look nice, but IMO, I like the sleeper look the car currently has. Yeah the car doesn't look like a stock GT, but most people will not know whats lurking under the hood when they see the car. Adding termi bumpers will make it look like any other silver Cobra on the road.... Just my .02...

I think I agree with you about the body mods, Dustin. My rear bumper has some nicks in it and a scratch or two that has been touched up (poorly), which is the perfect excuse for me to get an entire Cobra kit, haha. I've just always loved the aggressive look of the Termis. Of course, I would not have any emblem on the car that suggests in any way that the car is a real Cobra. The only thing SVT on this car is the numbered and signed plaque on the valve cover. :D I guess we'll see down the road what I decide to do.

What about MT ET Street Radial II 315/35/17?

I think I'm going to try those out this spring.

My NT555R's just wont cut it with 4.10 gears, 2.97 1st gear, and 411 rwtq. They even slip a bit in 2nd. I havent tried them out at the track, but I want my tires to hook on the street too.

Mickey Thomspon E/T Streets are the drag radial everyone and their mother swears by. These M&H's have a growing following, and I can attest that they hook really, really well, even cold. I still get some wheel spin in my car when launching, but then again my car makes 457 ft/lbs of torque at 2000 RPM, so I guess it's to be expected. :rlaugh:

I got some parts in the mail that should be going on soon. We're due for a blizzard here in NY this Wednesday that's supposed to dump up to a foot of snow on us, so I'm not really sure when these parts are going on. :mad:

-FR500 steering wheel (excited the most about this one! :D)
-Ford Racing Hood pin kit
-Mach 1 chin spoiler
-Steeda rear shock tower brace
-I also ordered some blue LEDs for all the gauges from superbrightLEDs.com

Pics coming soon...

After you get a few shakedown runs in the car, I would look at adding a small shot, maybe a 75-100hp. You can always get rid of the kit down the road, and it should get the car deep in to the 10's.

Winters: Thanks for the compliments! I have considered throwing a small shot at the car, but at this time I feel like there are other priorities in the build. Although I have a power goal of 650/650, this thing is plenty fast for the time being, and it scares me not having a cage in the car. I had a scare a few nights ago that put the fear of God in me. I'd like to beef up the safety of the car and do some minor exterior modifications to get the car looking the way I want before diving into horsepower upgrades. Stay tuned for more pics and a vid once the snow melts! :nice: