proper break in procedures

laughing horse

May 13, 2005
Groveland,FL
I just got my 2007 gt on saturday and want to make sure I am breaking it on properly. Had 11 miles on the Odometer on day one. I have been taking it easy so far. Is 500 miles of varied driving enough? Should I change fluids Just in case there have been metal bits worked loose? I have heard so many things through the years I can't remember whats right.

• Sponsors (?)

Horse, go ahead and do an oil change now. If you have 500 miles on it, start to have some fun. These cars really don't need much of a break in. I changed the oil at 500 on our 07'....clean, clean oil. I even opened up the filter and found nothing. I would put another 500 or so on it before you really hammer on it. But you are pretty much good to go. Have fun!

Casey

Words from my salesman on break in..."No break in needed on these cars, just drive it like you normaly would." I however varied the speed and rpm on mine for the first 200 miles just in case.

I got the car on Thursday Night and on Saturday morning I varied the speed from 2000 rpm to 6000 rpm, (shift) 3600 rpm to 6000 rpm, (shift) 4000 rpm to 6000 rpm. The next thing you know I wa doing 103.9 mph and I ran a 1/4 mile in 13.65 seconds.

I just got my 2007 gt on saturday and want to make sure I am breaking it on properly. Had 11 miles on the Odometer on day one. I have been taking it easy so far. Is 500 miles of varied driving enough? Should I change fluids Just in case there have been metal bits worked loose? I have heard so many things through the years I can't remember whats right.

Break-in procedure, Stangnet style -

1. pop hood, install CAI
2. tune for CAI
3. remove factory Expedition springs with sportier setup
4. tune again, because you found one which will net you an extra 10-15hp
5. replace factory midpipe and axle-back.
6. tune, because you're sure you're running lean

Also, make sure you're medical insurance is paid up. Therapy for "Modders Disease" aint cheap!

Seriously though, as you can see from the other replies, the prevailing mindset in here is probably more "drive it hard, break it, UPGRADE!", as opposed to how to do right by your car.:SNSign:

Congrats on the car, and enjoy it!:nice:

Break-in procedure, Stangnet style -

1. pop hood, install CAI
2. tune for CAI
3. remove factory Expedition springs with sportier setup
4. tune again, because you found one which will net you an extra 10-15hp
5. replace factory midpipe and axle-back.
6. tune, because you're sure you're running lean

Also, make sure you're medical insurance is paid up. Therapy for "Modders Disease" aint cheap!

Seriously though, as you can see from the other replies, the prevailing mindset in here is probably more "drive it hard, break it, UPGRADE!", as opposed to how to do right by your car.:SNSign:

Congrats on the car, and enjoy it!:nice:

I don't understand where you get the break it part from?
I drive mine hard but there's a difference between driving it hard and abusing it.
Let the car get up to temp before pushing it.
Don't overrev it past 64-6500 since the concencus is 7000 for stock valvetrain. Shift firmly and quickly without abusing it.
Cool it down before shutting it off.

I don't understand where you get the break it part from?
I drive mine hard but there's a difference between driving it hard and abusing it.
Let the car get up to temp before pushing it.
Don't overrev it past 64-6500 since the concencus is 7000 for stock valvetrain. Shift firmly and quickly without abusing it.
Cool it down before shutting it off.

The post was tongue-in-cheek. The "break it" part was a reference to the mindset of "Oh, well, I've gone and broken that now. Better go out and buy a shiney-new upgraded AM part!". I know a lot of guys who itch to find a busted part, just so they can justify replacing it with something bigger/better.