• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine PRW rockers, TFS heads, and pushrod length

  • Thread starter Thread starter John3
  • Start date Start date Apr 27, 2019
J

John3

Member
May 22, 2018
27
3
13
Pa
Apr 27, 2019
#1
  • Apr 27, 2019
  • #1
I bought someone else’s project car and I’m starting to second guess a lot of info the prior owner told me. Long story short I’m chasing a lot of issues and now second guessing what was done with the motor. I have the intake off now looking for vacuum leaks, wires that weren’t hooked back up, along with missing/broken/hooked up wrong vacuum lines.

So while I have it open I figured I would look at the rockers and pushrods. I was told there were crane rods but can see they are actually trick and flow 6.600” long rods. What concerns me a bit is the 6.600 length, I just can’t seem to find anyone using that length. I know every motor is different but this seems out of range for what others are using. The rockers are PRW SS 1.6 with 3/8 mount. The cam is the infamous E303(according to prior owner)

Is anyone in here running 6.600 long rods? I know I will need to actually check this to be sure. What could some symptoms of short pushrods be? Is it just some power loss and early wear or more like poor idle?

Thanks,
John
 

Attachments

  • 7F09D39D-2D5F-403F-B1B2-5C99D4851C4E.webp
    92.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 5753968A-90B9-42F3-B320-C9B7D0213188.webp
    131.3 KB · Views: 203

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,672
213
polk county florida
Apr 27, 2019
#2
  • Apr 27, 2019
  • #2
Look at the wear pattern on top of the valve stem, it should be centered.
 
Reactions: 08GT500
J

John3

Member
May 22, 2018
27
3
13
Pa
Apr 27, 2019
#3
  • Apr 27, 2019
  • #3
The wear mark is pretty centered but it also seems on the wide side. I would say it’s about .075 wide.

Also, is it normal for the rockers to be on a slant from valve end to pushrod end with TFS heads? You can see the wear Mark has the same slant to it.
 

Attachments

  • FDC7DDDC-40AF-4D63-BC6A-4C03F05C8833.webp
    129.9 KB · Views: 190
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Engine Pushrod Length Question
  • germain101
  • Sep 22, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
636
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 25, 2025
Noobz347
T
408w pushrods
  • Towegage
  • Sep 19, 2025
  • Fox Engine Swaparoo
Replies
5
Views
404
Fox Engine Swaparoo Sep 19, 2025
Noobz347
Engine Pushrod Length?
  • foxbodyclark
  • Jan 25, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
381
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 25, 2025
limp
6
Engine Prw rockers, trick flow cam, gt40 heads
  • 67fox
  • Apr 15, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 15, 2025
hollywoodstang8
H
Mustang II 4 cyl gear hunting and possibly messed up vacuum system
  • oesterreicher
  • May 31, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
11
Views
456
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Jun 14, 2026
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?