PS question

automart

Jan 26, 2006
Nashville, TN
My power steering is not working on my restored 70 mach I, 351c, 4speed. All the hoses are correct. When I first started the car, the p.s. did work in one direction (to the right) but not to the left. It also spits out fluid from the filler tube when accelerating. I have just taken it up and down the drive way, it's not finished yet. The P.S. control valve is new as all the hoses. the pump itself is the original and was working 3 years ago.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for your help! I have another 70 Mach I that I have used as a template for assembling the one I'm working on now. I have checked, double checked and even swapped the lines just to make sure they are correct.

I'm "old school" on restoring. When I had a 70 Mach I when I was much younger we used Type F P.S. fluid (trans. fluid) anyway, now I'm using power steering fluid, is there a difference?

Thanks,

Ronnie

Just got back in from the garage. I jacked up the front, went from left to right several times, still losing fluid out of the top of the filler tube (what a mess) and no power steering. I have another P.S. pump, different size pulley which would require finding another belt that I could try. I guess that maybe my next step.

I would like to think that my lines are crossed somehow but there not. I would assume the only thing left would be P.S. pump, a "bad" new p.s. control valve, or lines stopped up somehow.

Sometimes cars just piss you off, uh?

if fluid is being forced through filler tube somewhere there is a fluid flow issue. IT is very possible the pressure and return lines are reversed on teh control valve, but to my understanding they are different sizes. Though it has been some time since I messed with mine. I would check the slave cylinder. It is possible there is an issue there if all the lines are connected. Possibly bad seals not allowing the fluid to flow correctly.

I am still wondering why you have fluid being forced out of the filler tube. For all reading this could the pump be rotating the wrong direction?

sounds like a bad control valve to me.

as for any difference between type F atf and powersteering fluid, there is a difference, but only in the amount of antifoaming additives in the PS fluid(more than the atf has).