Pulled 181 and 189 Codes. Help, please!

estevaf

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2001
São Paulo, BRAZIL
I have a 95 GT 5.0 with 16K original miles on it.
Everything is as it was when the car was delivered.
It's mostly garaged and every 15/20 days, at least, I run the engine and move the car a little bit.
Once and a while, I drive it for 1 or two hours.

Well, recently the Check Engine lit.
It is intermitent... goes on for a couple of seconds, then it goes of. Minutes later, goes on for a little longer, goes off. And so it goes, usually for very short periods of time.
The car, though, runs nice and smoothly, despite the check engine light! No noticeable effect on performance.

I pulled the codes:
181: Heated Exhaust gas Oxygen sensor - Voltage signal not switching: Indicates lean during part throtle engine operation (BANK #1)

189: Heated Exhaust gas Oxygen sensor - Voltage signal not switching: Indicates lean during part throtle engine operation (BANK #2)

Not other codes at all.

Has anyone experienced that before? Any ideia what might be the problem?

Any input will be appreciated!

Many thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Check fuse 10 in the interior fusebox too.

Then I would check the actual signal voltage at each O2. Because it's intermittant, it could be some sort of loose or dirty wiring connections.

Good one! :D I should drive it more, I know, but it is kept garaged away from home...this is my fun car. I am saving it :rolleyes:

(you would be surprised if told you how much expensive Mustangs can get in Brazil)

Thank you all for the inputs!

I will check the fuse this weekend, definitelly. I will let you know if it is broken.
I believe that it is time for a tune up, for sure.

The first thing I thought was the O2 sensors but the fact that both Banks appeared in the codes at the same time made me think that the reason was somewhere else. Both at once?!!?

I will open the filter case to see if MAF is dirty... Some few miles ago I replaced it by a Fram Airhog... Who knows...

Tks!

I would still check the actual O2 signal output voltage. You're not throwing the usual 'lean codes' (like if there's a MAF issue or a big vacuum leak). These codes are more like something you'd see when the sensors are disconnected. A packrat or whatever you have down there might have eaten some wiring.