Putting Car away for a year to do overhaul and need some opinions

kramer03gt

Apr 4, 2005
madison, WI
Hey guys, well i have been doing alot of thinking and its time to give my mustang an over haul, and i have a few questions and would like to get some feedback towards the project i have lined up, ,this is a list of what i plan on doing so here goes:

1.Forged bottom end in it i was looking at a kit like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8036712688&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT, Is there a kit better than this out there? any other recommendations for the same parts and etc. Also is there anything else i should replace right away being i have it that much apart.

2. VT engines stage 2 heads along with the stage 2 blower cams . is there a web site were i can get turque specs for all the bolts or anything?

3.I also plan on completeing my exhaust with a slp x-pipe with cats, being that i have the loud mouth 1 ,also would you guys recommed headers or are they just a waist of money, ive seen mixed threads about them.

4.Also im going with the eibach pro kit plus suspension kit, along with the MM rear end grip kit.. would you recommend anyother suspension parts besides all that these come with.

5.Finially after i get the damn thing put back together im going to put in a 1.7 kb probably after a year or so of running around NA. now what size fuel injectors would you recommend?? 42# bigger?? also would i need to get a cobra fuel pump or something equivalent.. also being that the bottom end is forged what boost would you recommend i run,

6.im going to keep the car an auto, and im going to put in a 2800 stall but is there anything else i should do?? to beef it up a little i guess, basically i want to get around 450 horse..also with the supercharger what gears would you recommend for it, i do alot of highway driving and i "dont fear the gear" but i dont want to not have traction ever..

7.and then im going to top it off with 18x9 and 10 chrome saleens with 265's in front and 295's in the rear BFG's KDW2's..

8.Finally i know its going to need a dyno tune after the heads and stuff are all in, anybody know any good places in WI to take it to, or recommendataion to take it to? or would the SCT2 turner take take of alteast the NA tune for now?

9. so if there are any wisconsinites close to the madison area and would like to help with this over time and show me a few things feel free to pm me, and i can let you know when i start getting parts and we can go to town, i know its going to take time and money which i am fine with but i think the goal is not unattanable and hey for the end product im sure it will be worth the wait.. Thanks for all your time and help guys!!

Steve :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Try shorter sentences, use paragraphs, and some bulleted lists I guess.

Its a Mustang board so spelling and grammar are not all that important but it is necessary to at least be able to communicate effectively...

1. Looks good, you might look around for a kit with some dished pistons for the blower.
2. Looks good, but until you get the blower, those cams will actually hurt you a bit as far as power.
3. Get l/t headers, you wont regret it.
4. That looks good, but you also will probably need c/c plates to adjust alignment.
5. A newer cobra pump would probably work fine, with the 42#injectors, but you will also need a new calibrated MAF to match them. If it were me with a strong bottom end, I would probably run about 12-13#s of boost.
6. Do the J-mod http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html , and get 3.73s and a bit stronger axles for the rear.

This is all basically stuff that I would do if it was my car, not necessarily what you would absolutely have to do. Good luck.

And I had no trouble reading it, I actually like the way you broke it up.

Kilgore Trout said:
I do not read text like that... sorry...
:lol:

If you go with a KB 1.7 down the road, the kit comes with injectors and all if I'm thinking correctly. If I were doing all those mods, I would have to do LT's....whether or not the group would agree, it surely couldn't hurt any :D

1.Besides the forged internals I would add a high volume oil pump and main support system. Lower compression pistions will help on a forced induction setup but definately hurt you while your still N/A. Same with the cams.

3.LT's are best...

4.Maybe add a K-member and A arms. Definately get some new shocks.

5.If you get the complete kit from KB, it will include new CAI w/ MAF, injectors, fuel pump booster, and you can get the ignition booster. If you just wanted the cobra pump instead of the KB booster, the cage that holds your GT pump in place must be removed (pain in the a*s)or you have to get the cobra tank.

I went through the same thing after my GT seized and it sat for over 2 years. Its just now back together and im about $800 away from driving her again. Just need the bumper and renewed registration....

Take your time...do it right the first time...:nice:

Here is a perfect explanation about the cam situation from this thread

hotmustang331 said:
Stay away from VT N/A cams if your going FI. Scott @ VT is DEAD set against their stg 1 or 2 cams when using boost.

The reason is the valve overlap. Meaning both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. In a N/A car the escaping exhaust helps pull in the new intake charge and thats more efficeint.

Now when your blown, the air is already being FORCED down the intake and since both valves are open, the boost goes straight through the intake and out of the exhaust for the period that both valves are open. NOT good, and you will loose a few #s of boost. = alot less power vs blower cams. IMHO even less than stock cams.

I would wait until your blown to get the cams...

I appreciate all the feedback so far guys, but i was wondering about the SLPs headers pricey its seems yes but , i figure if i allready have the loud mouth 1 and xpipe with cats will be the next purchase, i should go with headers as well.. will they fit the automatics, i noticed another thread were some headers didnt fit or they were really tight..what do you gain with headers anyway?

just a couple of other quick question.. being that im going to forge the bottom end and im using the stock block.. is there anything special i need to worry about when putting the new stuff in?? also who makes a great after market gasket set for this stuff..also can someone point me to the direction of the link were they did the vt cam install??
thanks guys

Steve

just another question, i was wondering what you guys would recommend for a stall converter as well?? ive been reading some of the threads that are on here, and some say single disk are ok, or get the triple, between 2400- and 3400 but i guess what do you guys think would be approproate for my application.. thanks again

also i was wondering what opionions were on gears? are the 4:10's probably a little much for this app and should i go with the 3:73 instead, or will i still get enough traction with the 4:10 i mean i dont want to just sit there and spin ha as cool as that is sometimes.. thanks again for the help guys!!

I agree with all of the responses above, wait to put the blower cams in with the blower, if your funds will allow the 2.2 kb would be the best option I believe like 46% of the people that buy the 1.7 want to upgrade in 6 months, (off of the kb site) the 410's are steep but with the blower cams and lower compression block I like the feel of them on the street much better, they will feel much better with your 8.5 to 1 blower friendly block before you sc it as well. I agree with the jmod and a tranny cooler. I haven't added a stall yet and I might not with the 410's. I have been bashed by Jackie Chan on my header opinion and I am in no means an expert, but kb claims little if no gain with lt's, from their website, it looks like you are doing everything else so they do not hurt if the funds allow and it would stop you from having to buy a midpipe twice, I would probably do them, they do help take heat away...