putting in new headliner should i change the color?

jamison42166

Jun 13, 2006
Im going to have a new headliner put in my early 65 coupe this fall, the origional one is white or off white? its pretty horrid looking. Im thinking about changing to a blue color I think either light blue or medium blue, but Id like some opinions. the upholstery color is medium blue with a darker blue carpet.
I apreciate everyones opinion thanks.

here is a pic of the current headliner:

View attachment 297438

and here is an interior pic of the car:
View attachment 297439

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a big fan of the white headliner either. Also, they just get dirty and show all the dirt. If your upholstery is medium blue and the carpet is dark blue then either would probably be fine. I think that the darker blue would look better.

I think the dark blue would be too much over the top. when you look inside the car as it is now the white headliner just pops too much, I think with a medium or light blue it would look nice but not attract too much attention to itself.
the car is a restomod but if changing the color would detract too much from the value of it I wouldnt want to do it.
Im having it farmed out the guy just called back on a price ($750 including rear seat being reupholstered and new rubber around the windshield). the other question is the stainless trim on the outside of the windshield is pretty battered like someone didnt know what they were doing when it was installed. does anyone make replacements that fit good? the guy i talked with said use the origionals since it would fit better. I know a guy who is suposedly able to take the trim and make it look factory again however the guy impressed me as someone who would have it done sometime in the next decade.

I went with the medium blue headliner and sunshades. The sunshades aren't easy to find for a coupe in that color, but I found them. Then I went with the navy blue windlace, since the medium blue windlace looks neon. Here's my blog entry about the headliner:

http://66restomod.blogspot.com/2008/07/so-headliner-came-out-pretty-well.html

The bright flash lightened the headliner a bit, it's definitely not light blue in person. I had painted the interior metal a metallic medium blue from NPD, and not surprisingly it matched the headliner just right.

I went with NPD or Mustangs Unlimited for the trim kits. They fit well enough for the $, but we had to re-use the clips since the new ones are too flimsy and not springy enough (so keep your old clips). I kept my old original trim anyway. If your trim guy can make it look new for cheap let me know. :) That job is usually labor-intensive and expensive.