Putting on oil pan and front cover, questions

NewToFord

Oct 7, 2008
CT
I bought used motor, that had the pan and front cover off of it. I have the blue one piece gaskets. Should I use any kind of silicone or form a gasket on them? Also, what should I put on first? Oil Pan or front cover? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I bought used motor, that had the pan and front cover off of it. I have the blue one piece gaskets. Should I use any kind of silicone or form a gasket on them? Also, what should I put on first? Oil Pan or front cover? Thanks

i'd use some of the tacky rtv for the timing cover gasket to keep it in position, and a bit of black rtv around the front and rear main seals on the pan. and since youre doing both, throw out the cork pan covers that came with the timing cover set.

any other tips or advice? Just put the pan on or do I have to check oil pump clearance? I have a half moon shaped front cover gasket. Is that the correct gasket? Thanks Any torque specs?

Match the timing cover gasket to your timing cover. There are several over the years.

If the one pc pan gasket, you still may need a small bead of rtv at the corner of the timing cover to pan joint to seal the block, timing cover and pan three way joint. I use Hi Tack on the timing cover. Rtv usually makes gaskets slide around.

Otherwise it is straightforward. The official method says to put the balancer on before tightening the timing cover to align it. Done it both ways with no leaks.

Never hurts to check oil pump pickup clearance to the pan with clay or something.