Pypes V. Magnaflow help!

• Sponsors (?)

Raincloud following you around again? You seem kinda cranky.

Not really. I just don't like unsolicited (and thinly veiled) advertisements/sponsor endorsements creeping into threads here. The sponsors have a forum of their own to plug their stuff, and we've got more than enough banners and ads scattered all over every single screen to click on if need be, as it is.

That aside, I doubt the fitment issues have actually been "fixed," at least as far as their X-pipes go. They still are using the same design as places like UPR in that it does not have transmission crossmember hangers. This, I know from personal experience, is a royal PITA because the damned thing keeps sagging at the rear flange where it connects to the flow tubes. Thus, every week or so, you have to jack the thing up and re-tighten the bolts just to keep the friggin' exhaust from dragging on every little dip and bump in the road. That, and I also had the same issue with my X-pipe being too long and having to cut down the tailpipes to make them fit AT ALL, and whenever I have that X on there my tailpipes stick out an extra 2" past the bumper. Being that I'm reading the same complaints from others with regard to the Pypes X-pipes, I get the impression they basically just copied the exact same design and measurements from UPR, or whoever else UPR ripped theirs off from. This being in addition to the fact that I got the very early-style Violators at the vendors booth at one of the World Ford Challenges, and the mufflers wound up being an inch or two longer than the norm so I had to also cut a bit off of my flow tubes to compensate. Thus, if I ever switch mufflers again in the future, I'm going to need to buy new flow tubes and tails, too, because mine are now cut too short now to fit anything else. :notnice:

But now that you ask ... yeah, I am kinda in a cranky mood. :p

All that being said ... I still like my Violators. And if the Race Pros are a Magnaflow knockoff, and if they're cheaper, I just might give those a shot someday. :shrug:

Not really. I just don't like unsolicited (and thinly veiled) advertisements/sponsor endorsements creeping into threads here. The sponsors have a forum of their own to plug their stuff, and we've got more than enough banners and ads scattered all over every single screen to click on if need be, as it is.

That aside, I doubt the fitment issues have actually been "fixed," at least as far as their X-pipes go. They still are using the same design as places like UPR in that it does not have transmission crossmember hangers. This, I know from personal experience, is a royal PITA because the damned thing keeps sagging at the rear flange where it connects to the flow tubes. Thus, every week or so, you have to jack the thing up and re-tighten the bolts just to keep the friggin' exhaust from dragging on every little dip and bump in the road. That, and I also had the same issue with my X-pipe being too long and having to cut down the tailpipes to make them fit AT ALL, and whenever I have that X on there my tailpipes stick out an extra 2" past the bumper. Being that I'm reading the same complaints from others with regard to the Pypes X-pipes, I get the impression they basically just copied the exact same design and measurements from UPR, or whoever else UPR ripped theirs off from. This being in addition to the fact that I got the very early-style Violators at the vendors booth at one of the World Ford Challenges, and the mufflers wound up being an inch or two longer than the norm so I had to also cut a bit off of my flow tubes to compensate. Thus, if I ever switch mufflers again in the future, I'm going to need to buy new flow tubes and tails, too, because mine are now cut too short now to fit anything else. :notnice:

All that being said ... I still like my Violators. And if the Race Pros are a Magnaflow knockoff, and if they're cheaper, I just might give those a shot someday. :shrug:

i couldnt agree more

That, and I also had the same issue with my X-pipe being too long and having to cut down the tailpipes to make them fit AT ALL, and whenever I have that X on there my tailpipes stick out an extra 2" past the bumper.

Yeah, maybe it's been too long since I had to deal with that. I ended up cutting down my flow tubes since I ended up having to put on a new catback. Damnit.. Now you've got me getting angry while still waking up. Like I said, in their defense, they worked hard to make me happy and get everything working though.

As a premium sponsor they are allowed to reply to threads in the forums about tech issues related to their products. They are not able to sell, that's what the vendor forum is for, just help. What's the problem with a vendor trying to offer some technical assistance? It's no different than what anyone else here is trying to do except that it's straight from the vendor.

Dark, I take it from your sig tag I'm barking up the wrong tree here. :) However, here goes. I don't see why manufacturers can't come on these forums and contribute also. Don't you think we are qualified to give advice on such topis? If by default we get some 'advertising' value from it, what's so bad about that? If you look at our posts, you'll see they are very impartial and objective. We have always felt members appreciate our participation. The reason why Magnaflow, FM and most other manufacturers don't, is because it is risky and I think they are just too big to try and put out every fire that erupts about their products on various forums. At this point, we still want to put out every fire! Maybe when we are rich and famous we'll ignore the forums also! :)

Now, to clear things up in regard to your skepticism about the X-pipes. Yes, 6 years ago, our X-pipe was literally identical to the UPR X-pipe. In fact, it was produced by the same factory for us with only slight changes that we felt would add value. And yes, our X-pipe was too long for 'some' catbacks. It was also very expensive to ship and took up a lot of space in our dealer's warehouses. So 3 years ago we completely redesigned the X-pipe line and made them modular and switched to stainless. But before we did, we produced an awful lot of the old X-pipes and hence the reason I think you are still hearing about fitment issues. The only remaining fitment issues we have with Mustang X-pipes is the Fox Body Auto trans models. They hang a little bit low but there just isn't any room on that car. So we felt it was better than not having one at all.

End of spam. ;)

As a premium sponsor they are allowed to reply to threads in the forums about tech issues related to their products. They are not able to sell, that's what the vendor forum is for, just help. What's the problem with a vendor trying to offer some technical assistance? It's no different than what anyone else here is trying to do except that it's straight from the vendor.

The OP was asking for OPINIONS on exhausts. I highly doubt that a vendor is going to offer an honest and objective opinion about their own product versus another company's product. I dunno about you, but I've never seen an exhaust company say, "Nah, our stuff doesn't sound as good as these other guys' mufflers. You won't like our stuff."

It's like two dudes sitting at a bar, one guy mentions he can't decide between buying a Ford and a Honda, and then this Honda dealer butts in and says, "Say, I hear you're looking for a car. Let me give you my card..." If he wanted to hear directly from a Honda guy, he'd have walked into a dealership; just the same, if the OP wanted to contact the vendor directly with questions, there's a forum for that, as well as copious amounts of banner ads and links to be found on every other page of this website.

Basically, it's a simple "Don't call us, we'll call you" sentiment. :shrug:

Dark, I take it from your sig tag I'm barking up the wrong tree here. :) However, here goes. I don't see why manufacturers can't come on these forums and contribute also. Don't you think we are qualified to give advice on such topis? If by default we get some 'advertising' value from it, what's so bad about that? If you look at our posts, you'll see they are very impartial and objective. We have always felt members appreciate our participation. The reason why Magnaflow, FM and most other manufacturers don't, is because it is risky and I think they are just too big to try and put out every fire that erupts about their products on various forums. At this point, we still want to put out every fire! Maybe when we are rich and famous we'll ignore the forums also! :)

Now, to clear things up in regard to your skepticism about the X-pipes. Yes, 6 years ago, our X-pipe was literally identical to the UPR X-pipe. In fact, it was produced by the same factory for us with only slight changes that we felt would add value. And yes, our X-pipe was too long for 'some' catbacks. It was also very expensive to ship and took up a lot of space in our dealer's warehouses. So 3 years ago we completely redesigned the X-pipe line and made them modular and switched to stainless. But before we did, we produced an awful lot of the old X-pipes and hence the reason I think you are still hearing about fitment issues. The only remaining fitment issues we have with Mustang X-pipes is the Fox Body Auto trans models. They hang a little bit low but there just isn't any room on that car. So we felt it was better than not having one at all.

End of spam. ;)

I'm not trashing Pypes products and saying they're garbage. Please re-read my post(s) more closely. Myself, I happen to like the sound of my Violators just fine, and again, if you'll re-read my description, I stated that I bought the EARLY version of the Violator mufflers (the non-stainless ones) and so they're obviously not representative of the final product. Overall, I think the current Pypes mufflers are as good as any other, but again, as far as what the OP is looking for, I don't think they quite fit the bill for what he's seeking as far as volume and tone at idle and cruise.

Secondly, I'm basing my opinion of the current Pypes X-pipes' ill fitment on the fact that my UPR cat'ed X still shares essentially the same design. The current version of the Pypes X may have corrected the length issue, but again, without one or two hangers to poke through the transmission crossmember, there is no support for the mid-pipe. Thus, people will STILL tend to experience the same problem as I have with my UPR X-pipe in that it keeps sagging in the middle and requiring periodic re-adjustment to keep it from dragging everywhere you go. This is not a complicated design issue - it's a rod of metal bent at 90* and tack-welded onto the X-pipe about halfway down. Two hangers aren't even really required. In fact, having two hangers would make installation a little more difficult. It's not supporting the full weight of the X-pipe, it's just there to keep it from bouncing up and down and working loose the connection at the rear flange. If that one little thing could be fixed, and as long as the excessive length issue has indeed been corrected, then I would readily recommend the Pypes X-pipes to anyone; otherwise, unless folks are handy with a welder and willing to rig up their own hanger(s) or use a universal clamp-on hanger in some crafty way, ANY company's hangerless X- or H-pipe is a poor choice.

As far as the Pypes cat-back tailpipes are concerned, I have no experience with them per se. If they're stainless, that's a plus, and from the pics I've seen, they're the stanard slash-cut LX-style tips, which I definitely prefer over those tacky clamp-on round-cut tips on the Magnaflow cat-back. As long as the bends are all correct and the hangers aren't welded in such a way that the tails always wind up hanging unevenly (*cough* Flowmaster *cough*), then I imagine the Pypes cat-backs are a valid alternative.

And, reiterating what I said in my prior post but neither of you seemed to pick up, if the Race Pros are indeed a Magnaflow knockoff - same sound, cheaper price - then I would definitely consider them. And if the Street Pros are a knockoff of Flowmasters or similar chambered mufflers ... well, that's fine for whoever likes that sort of muffler design, but personally I'm not a fan of drone (as almost ALL chambered mufflers tend to do, including Dynomax Super Turbos), and chambered mufflers don't share the same volume/tone/flow characteristics of straight-through mufflers, which I believe is what the OP is seeking.

If you're taking offense to the term "knockoff," well ... sorry, but it is what it is. I'm not one for brand name worship; if a company sells a product of sufficient quality and design at a good price, then I'll spring for it and/or recommend it to others, whether it's sold under the name of Pypes or Magnaflow or Flowmaster or Uncle Slappy's Backyard Muffler Shop. Not all knockoffs are Chinese cheap-o crap products, which I gather is what you might think I'm inferring (which I am not). Beyond that, though, if there's an issue with patent infringement ... well, that's between y'all and whomever might claim a legal patent issue against you. My ears and my car aren't going to care one way or the other. :shrug:

The OP was asking for OPINIONS on exhausts. I highly doubt that a vendor is going to offer an honest and objective opinion about their own product versus another company's product. I dunno about you, but I've never seen an exhaust company say, "Nah, our stuff doesn't sound as good as these other guys' mufflers. You won't like our stuff."

It's like two dudes sitting at a bar, one guy mentions he can't decide between buying a Ford and a Honda, and then this Honda dealer butts in and says, "Say, I hear you're looking for a car. Let me give you my card..." If he wanted to hear directly from a Honda guy, he'd have walked into a dealership; just the same, if the OP wanted to contact the vendor directly with questions, there's a forum for that, as well as copious amounts of banner ads and links to be found on every other page of this website.

Basically, it's a simple "Don't call us, we'll call you" sentiment. :shrug:

I'm not trashing Pypes products and saying they're garbage. Please re-read my post(s) more closely. Myself, I happen to like the sound of my Violators just fine, and again, if you'll re-read my description, I stated that I bought the EARLY version of the Violator mufflers (the non-stainless ones) and so they're obviously not representative of the final product. Overall, I think the current Pypes mufflers are as good as any other, but again, as far as what the OP is looking for, I don't think they quite fit the bill for what he's seeking as far as volume and tone at idle and cruise.

Secondly, I'm basing my opinion of the current Pypes X-pipes' ill fitment on the fact that my UPR cat'ed X still shares essentially the same design. The current version of the Pypes X may have corrected the length issue, but again, without one or two hangers to poke through the transmission crossmember, there is no support for the mid-pipe. Thus, people will STILL tend to experience the same problem as I have with my UPR X-pipe in that it keeps sagging in the middle and requiring periodic re-adjustment to keep it from dragging everywhere you go. This is not a complicated design issue - it's a rod of metal bent at 90* and tack-welded onto the X-pipe about halfway down. Two hangers aren't even really required. In fact, having two hangers would make installation a little more difficult. It's not supporting the full weight of the X-pipe, it's just there to keep it from bouncing up and down and working loose the connection at the rear flange. If that one little thing could be fixed, and as long as the excessive length issue has indeed been corrected, then I would readily recommend the Pypes X-pipes to anyone; otherwise, unless folks are handy with a welder and willing to rig up their own hanger(s) or use a universal clamp-on hanger in some crafty way, ANY company's hangerless X- or H-pipe is a poor choice.

As far as the Pypes cat-back tailpipes are concerned, I have no experience with them per se. If they're stainless, that's a plus, and from the pics I've seen, they're the stanard slash-cut LX-style tips, which I definitely prefer over those tacky clamp-on round-cut tips on the Magnaflow cat-back. As long as the bends are all correct and the hangers aren't welded in such a way that the tails always wind up hanging unevenly (*cough* Flowmaster *cough*), then I imagine the Pypes cat-backs are a valid alternative.

And, reiterating what I said in my prior post but neither of you seemed to pick up, if the Race Pros are indeed a Magnaflow knockoff - same sound, cheaper price - then I would definitely consider them. And if the Street Pros are a knockoff of Flowmasters or similar chambered mufflers ... well, that's fine for whoever likes that sort of muffler design, but personally I'm not a fan of drone (as almost ALL chambered mufflers tend to do, including Dynomax Super Turbos), and chambered mufflers don't share the same volume/tone/flow characteristics of straight-through mufflers, which I believe is what the OP is seeking.

If you're taking offense to the term "knockoff," well ... sorry, but it is what it is. I'm not one for brand name worship; if a company sells a product of sufficient quality and design at a good price, then I'll spring for it and/or recommend it to others, whether it's sold under the name of Pypes or Magnaflow or Flowmaster or Uncle Slappy's Backyard Muffler Shop. Not all knockoffs are Chinese cheap-o crap products, which I gather is what you might think I'm inferring (which I am not). Beyond that, though, if there's an issue with patent infringement ... well, that's between y'all and whomever might claim a legal patent issue against you. My ears and my car aren't going to care one way or the other. :shrug:
A Dave post at its finest :nice: and shortest :D

I'm kinda glad that he did chime in, now i know they have other mufflers than the violators, even if they do sound like flowmasters, thats the sound i want without the rotting out mufflers. Time to start rolling pennies

The OP was asking for OPINIONS on exhausts. I highly doubt that a vendor is going to offer an honest and objective opinion about their own product versus another company's product.

That's why you are self proclaimed 'negative Nancy'. :) All my posts address the topic starter's question and give him/her more information than he had to start with. It's up to the reader to decide if it has value. Everyone on this forum is somewhat biased toward the exhaust they have/ had on their car. So why are those opinions any better or worse than mine. Anyway, I understand you are not trashing us and I respect your opinon. I would appreciate it if you would respect my opinons also. Regardless, we are both jacking this thread. If you want to continue a spirited debate like this, start a new topic and I will participate.