Q.. 99 Cobra w/ 430's and a Vortech

Stang banger

Mar 12, 2006
I have 430 Gears that were installed way before I put on my Vortech SQ and was wondering if I am hurting my cars performance with that gear now that I have a S/C. It seems to be but then again I tear out of the hole like a rapped ape so maybe its just that I need to get use to it?

Its mostly a street car and have yet taken it to the track since the SC was installed 2 months ago.

I loved the feel of the 430's while I was NA. Now I'm not to sure its the best gear for the street. I thought that I would loose alot on the higway but it seems as if I really didnt and pulled past my friends Pullied 03 Term 4 times from a 40 -50 roll. Yes he can drive so its not that he sucks as a driver or even missed gears.

Anyways anyone know if I can just get taller rear tires to make up for the gear or should I drop down to 410's and be done with it?And if so what size tire should I get.

Another Q.. Do you really loose HP when you step up in gear? I dynoed my car before the 430s and again after I had them installed and to my surprize I lost about 9 RWHP and matching TQ. My Tunner said this is normal. Is it?

I just want to make sure that my car is running at full potentional with the right gearing. With that said I do plan on going to the track this year as I did while I was NA. Just have not made it there yet:(

Thanks for any help you guys can provide:nice:

• Sponsors (?)