Quad Shocks...need 'em?

• Sponsors (?)

stang1986GT said:
Thanks. By the way, are the lower control arms hard to put on? Are they a bolt on? I've never really looked into them. Do they make a huge difference?

yes they do make a difference. get some better uppers while your at it. They are not difficult to replace, but the rear coil springs are held in place by the lower control arms. Make sure you have a jack handy to put the coil back in place.

I use a bottle jack between the trunk and the axle tubes to wiggle the control arms and springs in there. It really works well.

And the best answer about quad shocks is MAYBE. Some cars need em, others dont. The thing you need to find out is.... after you take em out...when you burn out, do you get wheel hop. If you dont, leave em out. If you do, put em back in. Some cars do, some cars dont. I have Steeda control arms, urethane bushings, subframe connectors, drag launch spings, and I absolutely can not take the quads out or it wheel hops. Tons of people tell me it either works or doesnt....

Tony90hatch said:
yes they do make a difference. get some better uppers while your at it. They are not difficult to replace, but the rear coil springs are held in place by the lower control arms. Make sure you have a jack handy to put the coil back in place.

I was looking at 50 resto.com and I like the Steeda Weight Jacker for lower control arms. (http://secure.50resto.com/product1.cfm?SID=1&Product_ID=2835)
I assume you can still use exhaust pipes with these? Anyone suggest anything else better?

What about uppers? What do you guys like for upper arms?

Shakerhood said:
How did you notice your Quads are shot?

I was rebuilding the rear brakes and noticed the bushings are shot. The quads are fine I believe, it's the bushings that are shot. I just didn't want to replace the bushings if the quads aren't necessary, but the car is bone stock and I take it to the track once in a while, so I'll feel more comfortable leaving them on.

stang1986GT said:
I was rebuilding the rear brakes and noticed the bushings are shot. The quads are fine I believe, it's the bushings that are shot. I just didn't want to replace the bushings if the quads aren't necessary, but the car is bone stock and I take it to the track once in a while, so I'll feel more comfortable leaving them on.

You should by all means leave your Quads on if you can. The shaft should have resistance in both directions if they are good, if not you can still get Ford Motorcraft ones pretty cheap!

i have mine off. theyve been off for a while. recently after putting on a sc i notice that when i take off the tire tracks i leave are like a dotted line. i may have to put them back in......to bad i threw them away. be headed to pick a part soon

Quads do more than just stop wheelhop, they limit axle rotation, deflection, and windup. As stated previous, all Mustangs are different and some guys get away without them, but unless you have to remove them I would not.

if the bushings are shot, u might as well just replace them because you have to take them out to put the new bushings in. I got a pair of quad shocks for 40 bucks so its not like their expensive

i was wondering about putting a turnbuckle type of setup there for more room for wider tires etc. like say a 1/2 rod with 2 turn buckle ends on... It would remove the quad shock but i'm not sure if the solid mount would work? It would stop axle rotation though but it really wouldn't dampen it... anyone else tryed it?