Question about mounting the battery in the trunk

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
I bought the summit battery box kit and I plan on installing it soon. Does the gas tank need to be lowered when drilling the holes for the box? When routing the positive battery cable, do I route it under the frame or through the interior? What has everyone here done? Any comments? Any pics?

• Sponsors (?)

The first time I mounted mine I drilled holes through the floor in the trunk. The tank was dropped just to make sure I didn't hit the tank or any of the lines. I routed the cable along the fuel lines to the front. Now I am redoing it and running it in the body of the car. I am cleaning up the under side of my car. I think you will be happier running it through the inside in my opinion. Good luck

you can check my thread for info... you should drop the tank to be safe... The wire can be ran up the drivers side under the carped... and if you dont have a hood pop cable (ie using hood pins) 2 gauge wire fits through that hole perfectly.:D

If you have one of those drill stops, you can do it without taking the tank down. Set the drill stop for about 3/4 of an inch. There is at least an inch and a half of clearance between the trunk and the tank.

Kurt

It comes with certain model drills. It's kind of like a little sleeve that goes from behind the chuck down to the end of the drill. Or it's like a rod that runs down from behind the chuck down to the end of the drill bit.

Kurt

I did this in my bronco, it about the same clearance, I did what pokageek is saying, take some duct tape or electric tape and wrap it around the drill bit where you want it to stop at. It's not going to stop the drill bit, but you will be able to see when to stop.

I ran my alternator cable under the car, and the cable to the fuse box inside the car. I wish I would have run them both in the car to have one less hole in the floor of my trunk. Then again, there would be another hole in my firewall then. Eh.

Starter/alt
IMG_4412.jpg

my fuse box isnt in stock location anymore however

I don't like the battery cables running inside the car. I saw a Mustang burn to the ground one time, because the cables were mounted through the firewall. The grommet wore down, and it shorted out. I guess it doesn't matter much running it under the car, because you are going to have a grommet in the trunk anyway. But I am biased from my experience.

Kurt

I don't like the battery cables running inside the car. I saw a Mustang burn to the ground one time, because the cables were mounted through the firewall. The grommet wore down, and it shorted out. I guess it doesn't matter much running it under the car, because you are going to have a grommet in the trunk anyway. But I am biased from my experience.

Kurt

Good point Kurt....Although run mine threw the car too. As far as grommets wearing down though i would never bolt a power wire to a vibrating part (ie engine) after it comes threw the fire wall. I routed mine around the brake booster next to the strut tower and bolted it to the fuse box under the hood. The idea is to keep the wire from heat and give it a little slack.

Worst thing i can see is the wire coming threw the fire wall and straight to the Alt.

Another thing....i buy the wire and make my own terminals....I HATE crimped terminals.

1 Buy Copper ring terminals....

2 Strip wire back

3 Blow torch terminal till hott while filling with soldering wire (use a bench vise or a helper)

4 Insert bare wire end into hot solder and hold inplace till cool...Spray with water bottle to accelerate cooling.

5 Use shrink tubing where wire meets terminal to make it look good and keep possible moisture out

Link to ebay auction of what terminals look like
http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Big-Bare-Bat...ultDomain_0?hash=item5ad59663bb#ht_1353wt_958

I know it may sound like overkill but in my opinion this IS the best way to make an end connection on a power wire. (Ive trial and errored many different ways...this way hasn't corroded or ever come loose minimal voltage drop if any from front of the car to trunk)

Chris

Chris

Those are definately good tips for installing a wire, and that's how I do it myself. However, if you are relocated your battery to the trunk, NHRA rules require you do have an external shutoff switch. When you have an external shutoff switch, both the alternator, and the battery line have to go to that switch. In agreement with what's written above, it's good practice to have the alternator line first go to an independent mounted bus on the fenderwell, and then have another wire go to the shutoff switch.

Kurt

I"m in the process of installing the battery in the trunk and how do I connect the positive cable to the original cable? The screw for the eyelet keeps on turning and won't come off. How do I remove the old eyelet and screw so I can attach the new cable to it?

153l5c0.jpg

The bolt holding the seat belt bracket, Is this a good ground to use?

sg1v5s.jpg

I"m in the process of installing the battery in the trunk and how do I connect the positive cable to the original cable? The screw for the eyelet keeps on turning and won't come off. How do I remove the old eyelet and screw so I can attach the new cable to it?

The bolt holding the seat belt bracket, Is this a good ground to use?

Id create a better ground... IIR correctly that line goes strait from the battery to the fuse box... so you can just pull the old positive cable out of the harness and just connect your new cable to the post on the fuse box.