Question About Rear Suspension To All Owners

JulianR

Jun 13, 2016
Hi,

I've been googling something I've noticed but have not found any results. I'm not sure if it's just normal for 87-93 mustangs.

I have an 89 GT convertible. What I noticed is when the car is parked, if you push on the rear body of the car from left to right the body wiggles. Kinda feels like it wiggles on springs. The suspension is stock aside from a 1" drop. Springs/Shocks in the back are new.

So, my question is, for all the 87-93 convertible owners here, if you come up to your car when it's parked and push on the rear body from passenger side to the driver side and let go, will the body move left to right once or twice or will it not give at all?

The reason for the question is when I'm driving under say 10 mph, if I look at my rear in the mirror, the body has a slight wiggle-- no driving issues-- just can see the trunk move left to right. Would like to stiffen it up if possible.

Thanks!
Julian

• Sponsors (?)

Wiggle in relation to the axle?

Only wiggle I get out of mine is sidewall flex. When I installed my control arms, I didn't torque them and you could see the body move more than the axle did. So I went under and torqued the bolts correctly and that was gone.

If this is the sort of wiggle you are seeing, I'd say to check control arm bolts or check for ripped torque boxes or junk bushings

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the replies. I've looked last weekend and didn't see anything loose. Sure the bushings are original, but there's no sound that the wiggle makes. My first thought was that's just how the suspension was in those days. I don't remember it being as tight as the cars today. However, I'll take a look under again when I get some time this weekend.

Thank you,
Julian