Question about timing cover, chain, and oil pan gasket.

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I went to go change my timing cover gasket as it is the suspect for my coolant leak in the oil. When I took the cover off it ripped the front part of the oil pan gasket. I have the metal one piece gasket installed. I am wondering if I can just cut the front part off and replace it with the cork pieces that come in the timing cover set as if it were a cork gasket. I dont see any reason why I shouldnt be able to but I just want to be sure before I put it all back together.

Also the timing chain on the engine has maybe 20k miles on it. I went to wiggle it to see if there is any play in it and the left side of the chain has a lot of wiggle in it, but the right side is very tight and doesnt not move. Is this normal for one side to not have as much tension as the other? Should I just go ahead and replace it? It is a FRPP chain on there right now, I have already gotten a replacement timing chain set but it is just a timing set from a parts store, what do you guys think, leave the frpp one on there or swap it out for a new one?

• Sponsors (?)