Question about Weld Wheels/Daily Driver

deftsound

Please ask me how much my supercharger cost
Apr 6, 2004
Texas City TX
Hey guys,

Im thinking about getting weld wheels on my 99GT once i buy it, and i have a few questions about them.

First of all does anyone have pictures of a 99-04 gt with the 90draglite or 03rodlite wheels?

Secondly, id like to put 275's on the rear, and maybe 235's on the front. How feesable is this? Also, how much drivability will i be sacrificing? How much worse will my car handle with this combo? Is it dangerous for use as a daily driver? I really like how they look because it really gives the car a muscle look rather then the new modern look of cobra r's or cobras.

• Sponsors (?)

deftsound said:
Hey guys,

Im thinking about getting weld wheels on my 99GT once i buy it, and i have a few questions about them.

First of all does anyone have pictures of a 99-04 gt with the 90draglite or 03rodlite wheels?

Secondly, id like to put 275's on the rear, and maybe 235's on the front. How feesable is this? Also, how much drivability will i be sacrificing? How much worse will my car handle with this combo? Is it dangerous for use as a daily driver? I really like how they look because it really gives the car a muscle look rather then the new modern look of cobra r's or cobras.
the draglite's will look bad ass. i am a personal fan of the pro stars tho. at least with my body style. i dont really have any pics of the new edge cars with welds, but i dont think the rod lites would look that good. i think you should be able to find a mag or something with these rims on a car like yours.
you'll be loseing a little bit of handeling. but not alot. honestly, your ride quality should improve, cause of the larger sidewalls. and dangerous? not at all.
if its a dark car, id go with the draglites, but if its lighter, id go prostars.
just me preferneces.

I like the Welds for a daily driver.

sled5.jpg

so what size backspacing and rim size would i need to get a 275 in the rear and 245 in the front to work? Also what kind of tires do most people use with weld wheels for daily driving, assuming i want a decent but not too expensive performance tire?

cool well i definately want the welds, i love the old school dragster look. Just wish i could see a pic of 15 inch draglites. And id like to know what size and backspace id need for 245's in front and 275's out back. A pic would be nice too.

For a 15x8 wheel in back you will need a 5.5 backspacing. Not sure about up front since most people go with front runners (165's) and there is only one standard backspacing for that wheel.
Do a search for your picture!

Stock back spacing on front and rear is 6 inches. I stayed with the 6 inch back spacing for the rear because I couldn't tuck the wheel in any further because of the exhaust and suspension on my car. I went with a 5.5 inch back spacing for the front since the wheel is .5 inches wider and I didn't want it to stick out too much farther than stock - only an inch and that looks perfect. I use a 275/40/17 gForce kdw T/A on the rear and a 245/45/17 on the front.

Back spacing will not change with wheel diameter. For 17" and 18" Draglite and Rodlites, look at the XP series on Weld's site - they don't have any more 17" ProStars, even though they show them. This months MM&FF has a 2k3 Mach One with 18x9" Rodlites and it looks pretty good too! I didn't want to go to an 18" because of the bigger increase in rotational mass.

I can tell you this - put my car on a lot with 75 other Mustangs, and numerous people will ask me about the wheels.

cool thanks dude, i think im gonna stick with 15 inch wheels, im thinking maybe 15x8 on the rear with 6 inch backspacing and 275 tires, with 15x8 on the front with 5.5 backspacing and 245's

damacman said:
Jim, so what - you like the coolest teacher in school? I bet the students love the 'stang!
Not really a teacher. Spreadman gave me that CT long ago for correcting someone's grammar. I'm retired after 34 years with Kimberly-Clark Corporation in various management positions. :banana: