Question about whether or not to replace frame rail.

darrenfpc

Jan 30, 2008
Hello all,

I have a question that I figured I'd run off some of you. I have a 68 Mustang Coupe that I've been working on and off for a few years while in the Army.

The question I pose to this forum is to whether to replace the Driver Side Frame Rail and Frame Rail extension.

Here are some pics I took with my cell phone (good camara still in deployment storage):

This is a picture of the engine bay side of the Frame Rail Extension on the driver's side:

bentsideofdriversidefraxv4.th.jpg

This is a picture of inside the frame rail on the Driver's side:

framerailandframerailexcs3.th.jpg

This is the tip of Frame Rail Extension:

tipofframerailextensionbv7.th.jpg

What do you guys think? This is my attempt on restoring/modifying a car. Any input would be appreciated. (Reenmachine's site rocks.)

Darren

Attachments

• bentsideofdriversidefraxv4.th.jpg
    bentsideofdriversidefraxv4.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 50
  • framerailandframerailexcs3.th.jpg
    framerailandframerailexcs3.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
  • tipofframerailextensionbv7.th.jpg
    tipofframerailextensionbv7.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 65
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi Darren-
It's really hard to tell just from pics (no matter what the camera) so you've really got to make the call. These are structural parts so I'd tend to err on the safe side. If you see that there are significant weak spots and/or the steel has lost a considerable amount of its thickness, replace it.

If it's just surface rust with some deeper pitting here and there that doesn't go all the way through, then you can probably save it. Also, since you're already on the inside, weld in some reinforcement that won't be visible from the outside.

Whatever you do, strip as much of that rust off of there as you can so you can really see what you're dealing with. Then, after you make the repairs (or if you don't need to) coat it all in POR-15 or something similar so it doesn't get any worse.

It's crucial to get everything straight and square if you weld in a new frame rail so be sure to have that all figured out beforehand.

Good luck and thanks for the compliment,
Pete

No, money isn't an issue. The whole project is just something to do when I'm off. Long term project until I finish my Army service and finish school (Reenmachine had my dream job at the JPL).

I think I'm going to go ahead and just plunge into it. Any tips on the how to's of replacing the frame rails? I have a bunch of the original Ford Technical Manuals, and I know you have to be very precise on how you get the new frame rails positioned and welded in.

Thanks!