Paint and Body rear frame rail repair 1965 coupe

I have a very rough 1965 coupe that I am determined to save. This may surprise some, but the rear frame rails are rusted. In fact the right one was cut off and replaced with an I-beam. I have the repair sections from CJ Pony. The left side, although seriously rusted is still there. I want to find out a point from which I can measure to get a correct fit. If I were to measure from the axle snubbers on each side would they be equal? Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't trust the snubbers at all, they are just rubber, probably didn't have any real quality control even from the factory and who knows how many times they were replaced.

20200522_175802_zpskvynmlwb.jpg

Couldn't find a real good picture of the area you need on mine while it was on the rotisserie, but its really going to depend on how much original metal you have left. If the trunk floor is intact enough, what you can do is simply cut out the old section of rail and drill out the spot welds and simply use the outline of the old rail to locate the new one...of course this only works if the car has not been damaged in an accident and if your repro piece is dead-on. Another method is to get measurements(center of frame rail, not the edge) BEFORE the rail comes out as measured from the other frame rail...use one rail at a time as your reference point. It really is easier if you still have the trunk floor in place.

I wouldn't trust the snubbers at all, they are just rubber, probably didn't have any real quality control even from the factory and who knows how many times they were replaced.

20200522_175802_zpskvynmlwb.jpg

Couldn't find a real good picture of the area you need on mine while it was on the rotisserie, but its really going to depend on how much original metal you have left. If the trunk floor is intact enough, what you can do is simply cut out the old section of rail and drill out the spot welds and simply use the outline of the old rail to locate the new one...of course this only works if the car has not been damaged in an accident and if your repro piece is dead-on. Another method is to get measurements(center of frame rail, not the edge) BEFORE the rail comes out as measured from the other frame rail...use one rail at a time as your reference point. It really is easier if you still have the trunk floor in place.
Thank you, that helps.