Question for anyone running a fuel cell.

ponyboy19

Founding Member
May 24, 2000
Tossing around idea's for a fuel system and I think I am leaning towards a 16 gallon fuel cell for my 95. Just wondering what cell people are using, how much hacking of the spare tire well was involved, and if you have a fuel level gauge installed either factory or aftermarket. I was looking at the 16 gallon summit foam filled cell that measures 25"x17"x9" with a GM sending unit. http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=sum-290108
My thoughts were to get it into the spare tire well, possibly with a little fab work and hook a autometer fuel gauge up to it. Anyone have any issues with it, comments, or ideas concerning fuel cells. Pictures of your set up would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

I run that in my S-10. The cell is nice but I have all kinds of trouble with the lid. Its a HUGE PIA to get off and get back on. I have to carry a screwdriver in the truck to pop it off.

-Smoke

I run the Jaz Pro Street 16 gallon cell. It has the sending unit for gauge but I never hooked it up. I'm thinking it's 18.5x18.5. Can't remember the height. I mounted in the spare tire well and the sump sets down below the floor. I run the BG220 HR pump (carbureted). Also built an aluminum box cover with a trap door for fuel fill. NHRA requires a bulkhead to separate the cell from the passenger compartment but I found it much easier to fab the box and it is also acceptable. No issues with the cap removal. You just lift a tab and turn it and the thing comes right off. The whole setup really opens things up in the rear with the stock tank gone.

On my tank, the lid sets down in a set of groves, then there is a lever at the top that you spin to lock it down. I am running and electric pump. Holley blue.

-Smoke

I am running a 16 gallon Jaz pro street fuel cell. I like it so far just cut a small opening in the spare tire well for the sump. Took some door weather stripping and put it around the hole for air not to get into the car. I am using the summit complete fuel kit. Its really nice kit for price 250$, i think. The pump and regulator come with aeromotive directions (hmmmmm maybe its made my aeromotive and alot cheaper).

you guys running the 16 gallon jaz cell. I take it that you guys have foam? do you ever get any fuel starvation with it, can you fit a full 16 gallons of gas in it? I like the dimensions of better than the summit one I was looking at.