Question for you guys running T5's

DJCarbine

May 4, 2005
Hey guys, I installed an 87 T5 into my 66 coupe... I have a question for you 5.0 guys running T5's.

I have no sound deadener, no shift boot, open hole in my shifter where I can see the road through my car....

The T5 has a very slight whine to it. I put in valvoline cheapy Dextron III/Mercon ATF and took it for a test drive. It shifts fine and everything, but the whine coming from it worries me a bit. You can't really hear it unless you listen for it, and the fact that I have no sort of sound deadening doesnt help much either. Is this normal? Any of your guys hear a faint sort of whine from your t5's?

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

umm no, NO whine from mine at all! I have a brand new WC t-5 in mine. My old on use to whine, then it got worst and broke the input shaft gear. So I would say it's not a good thing. But U may want to get some other poeples opinion. I know some tremecs whine and thats normal for them.

Thanks for the responses!

There is no louder whining when I accelerate, or decel, just a constant quiet whine. Since some of you guys say its normal, and the fact that I have NO shifter base boot or anything, I am going to assume that it is normal for the trans to make that noise.

Its a lot quieter than my toploader when 2nd gear blew up :D

my t5 whines with my tri-ax. the rubber boot thing isnt bolted down, i just sat it on top so it does nothing.

I have always heard that all the t5s whine, just the sound deadener and the stock shifter with its rubber bushing eliminates it.

all t5s i've even been in whine, my old one used to sound like a blower in 3rd gear.

If it starts whining louder and louder than youre in for trouble. Mine started whining to the point where people swore up and down I had a kennebell and this is what happened. (gear to the left)

DSCF1145.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1145.jpg
    DSCF1145.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 82
the t-5's in my coupe and in my GT both whine the same.
LOUD!
I would not go so far as to say its a definite problem. I like the way it sounds although some peoples t-5's do not whine, so....
I want a tremec so damn bad, I always feel like the t-5 is the weakest link and its gonna go splat anyday.
but with 65,000 miles on my GT i would be real dissapointed if it does happen.

Haha, I took it for another test drive last night and I need to rephrase my statement...

It only really whines in 1st gear, kinda cool cause it sounds like I have a supercharger if I hold it out long enough :rolleyes:

In all gears its not as much as a whine, as it is the sound of gears meshing and fluid moving. I put in 3 quarts of ATF, so its not dry. The only really loud gear is overdrive, the sound is likened to dragging a cardboard box over a smooth wood floor, but nothing to be worried about. I got the trans for 200 bucks so I'm not going to be super pissed if it blows up in a few months.

And aliate x, I hope my trans doesnt end up shearing off some gears... but if it does, I'm going to get it rebuilt with stronger internals. I know a few companies offer strengthened gears and input shafts.

Thanks for the input guys!