Question for you (Mustang) paint experts out there

mcglsr2

Sep 27, 2011
Hey everyone, I have a bit of an issue. I'm painting a front bumper for my 95 GT. The color code for the car is Opal Frost. I purchased rattle can paint from a reputable source that is supposed to be paint matched to Opal Frost. Also, this is the 2nd time I ordered Opal Frost - I sent the first batch back because it didn't match my car. As it turns out, this color on the bumper is similar (if not identical) to the previous batch I had. My point is this: it's not a one-off bad match. It's either a good match for Opal Frost OR the company I bought from just does not have the match correct at all.

So the issue: after spraying the bumper, when I compare the color to the color on the car....it does not look matched. The car looks more silver, the bumper looks more blueish/gray. Now, I DO NOT have a clear coat on the bumper yet. And I understand that this will make a difference to final appearance of the color. However, the basecoat just looks fundamentally different than what's on the car.

There have been a number of owners prior to me, and to my knowledge the car has not been repainted a different color. However I do not know this for a fact. I looked for evidence of a respray - I looked in door jambs and stuff. But nothing obvious. And the car was not well cared for prior to me, so it's not likely it was a perfect all-surface multi-thousand dollar paint job. It's possible the Opal Frost and Silver are so close that I just can't tell in the door jambs. But it is a possibility the car has been repainted. Also, for my year, there is no other "silver" color - Opal Frost was the only "silver" color.

I have posted pictures below showing the front bumper painted Opal Frost (no clear coat yet!) next to the trunk of the car, which looks decidedly more silver... :(

So the questions:
  1. For you guys that really know your Ford/Mustang paint, or have encountered this before: is it likely that when I apply a clear coat (it will be a Spray Max 2K High Gloss) it will turn more "silver" to match the car
  2. Or...is the car really a silver color now (and if so, does it look like a Ford Silver [which is an impossible question, I know :( ]) and even after the clear the bumper will not match
  3. Does the bumper look like Opal Frost to you guys? I have no other experience with Opal Frost other than the color of my car
Thanks in advance for the assist everyone, I really appreciate it!

IMG_3074_OB.jpg

IMG_3075_OB.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Now, I DO NOT have a clear coat on the bumper yet. And I understand that this will make a difference to final appearance of the color.
Will not change color in the way your looking for.

Disclaimer ~ I'm not an expert, but I almost stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Opal Frost shows the blue except in 3rd pic
faf59eccff91795f13a24f2b0cb08fee.jpg 1995_00027_03.jpg 1996_00031_04.jpg 1995_00020_02.jpg

93 Titinaium Frost looks closer. You'll need the paint shop to do a custom match. Take them the fuel filler door.

1992_00005_01.jpg 31832df5.jpg

Let us know what happened.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer ~ I'm not an expert, but I almost stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Lulz. Well I certainly appreciate the input. I'm thinking more and more the car was repainted at some point is no longer Opal Frost. I think you are on to something with the silver color of a different year Mustang. I did a little Googling and it looks like the silver (code YN) from a 98 Mustang is preeeeety close. Can't tell for sure from internet pictures of course.

But still:
ocDomUz.jpg

That looks about right.

At any rate, I am going to do what you suggested: take the fuel door off and go to Napa and see what they can do to paint match. The place I originally bought the paint from is online, so they aren't really an option with regard to bringing something to them to compare.

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, sorry to take so long, but finally I got around to closing this out. Firstly, thanks @2Blue2 for the suggestion to take the filler door to a paint shop. That was exactly the advice I needed. And it's what I did.

Turns out the paint is NOT Opal Frost (not really surprised there since it didn't match). But rather a silver from the Ford Fleet vehicles apparently. Anyway, *very* close to Ford Silver Metallic. Apparently, my Opal Frost Mustang had been repainted at some point - which also doesn't surprise me given the history of this car lol. But it's all good. The paint shop mixed up the paint that they said matches, and I bought 4 rattle cans.

And the result is...it's pretty damn close. Maybe not quite *exact* but honestly...it totally works for me. In these pictures, it's the front bumper that got painted.

IMG_3160_1.jpg
IMG_3166_1.jpg
IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3164_1.jpg

So, I'm happy. Much appreciated! :D