QUESTION: Motorcraft Part # KH-610

Boss Hoss

Dec 20, 2012
I have a 1996 Mustang GT that I need to do some work on because of a leaking intake manifold.

Underneath the intake manifold on my car's 4.6L V8 there is a special heater hose.

The part is Motorcraft # KH-610.

I can't remember what exactly this hose looks like...more importantly, what it is made of.

I want to know if it is really necessary to replace it while I have my intake manifold off the car.

The last time I had my intake off of the car, I looked at the hose and it looked OK...no sign of leaks or damage of any kind.

If this is a RUBBER hose, I will surely want to replace it. However, if it is a hard plastic hose, I may just leave it there.

Has anyone ever had one of these hoses fail? Has this hose ever "needed" replacement?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm getting the vibe here that I should probably just leave the hose I have alone. It's probably fine as it is.

What exactly does this hose do? One end is connected to the back of the water pump housing...where is the other end connected? (It runs to the back of the engine block and then drops down.)

It goes to the inlet hose for the heater core. It is one of those tubes where if you have the intake off, you might as well replace it because Murphy's Law will come into effect and it will leak and the intake will come back off to replace it.

Well, I am really having trouble finding this part. I believe that the Motorcraft KH-610 number refers to a 4.6L part, but NOT for the Mustang version of this engine.

Since this part is so hard to find--and very well may be discontinued--I am really starting to think that it is something that just doesn't need to be replaced, generally speaking.