Question Of Interest.

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
In about 2 weeks time I'll be tearing into my 95 Mustang GT (SVO GT-40 dealer upgraded), to replace the lifters. Would it be helpful if I posted pics along the way with captions, instructions, mistakes, questions, comments? Is there an interest in this kind of thing? Please sound off!

• Sponsors (?)

Why are you replacing lifters?
Hey foxbodymike,

I'm replacing the lifters for 2 reasons; besides the fact that I am the new 2nd owner of this car. 1) I had a bad lifter in my 88 fox body, and this one sounds exactly like it. 2) Even though it could simply be incorrect lash on the RRs I have an oil leak on the rear of the lower intake manifold. If there is a tick that is possibly a lifter, and I'm already into pulling the lower intake off then it seemed a good idea to just go ahead replace the questionable lifters, and reset the valve train.

What say you? Any suggestions? Am I missing anything?

The "tick" can be an exhaust leak or even your leaky lower.

Regardless, you cannot tell by looking at them, whether a lifter is good or bad. Replace one them replace them all. Ensure you put the push rods back in their original positions and orientation.

Are your rockers stud mount or pedestal?

The "tick" can be an exhaust leak or even your leaky lower.

Regardless, you cannot tell by looking at them, whether a lifter is good or bad. Replace one them replace them all. Ensure you put the push rods back in their original positions and orientation.

Are your rockers stud mount or pedestal?
Noobz, good to hear from you. You have commented on my other posts. I have found your comments quite helpful.

As far as my RRs being stud or pedestal -I'm not sure because I have not opened the engine up yet. I'm assuming that I will find 1.7 RRs, but I could be surprised. If they are 1.7 RRs, what orientation do they most often come in?

As far as an intake tick, I never thought of that, but can an intake tick sound exactly like a lifter tick? And, yes, I will not try to replace 1 lifter. I like doing jobs once.

As far as an exhaust leak goes this sounds different to me -although I could be wrong.

As far as the pushrods go I have a box in which I will punch holes that will serve to hold the pushrods in their respective positions. Although, I'm wondering if I should just buy new pushrods. These may be 18 years old. How long does the typical pushrod last?

IMO, first throw a can of MMO in the oil and run it for a few hundred miles. See if that frees up the sticky lifter.
Hey Mikestang,

I did an oil change after putting gunk's product in the engine, ran it for about 400 miles, then changed the oil. I made a [little] difference. Do you think MMO would make much more difference? Furthermore, I have to re-seal the lower intake regardless. Do you think it wise to go ahead and replace the lifters while i'm in there? I'm concerned about longevity. I don't mind going the extra mile if it means I do it once, and it lasts for years to come.

Noobz, good to hear from you. You have commented on my other posts. I have found your comments quite helpful.

As far as my RRs being stud or pedestal -I'm not sure because I have not opened the engine up yet. I'm assuming that I will find 1.7 RRs, but I could be surprised. If they are 1.7 RRs, what orientation do they most often come in?

As far as an intake tick, I never thought of that, but can an intake tick sound exactly like a lifter tick? And, yes, I will not try to replace 1 lifter. I like doing jobs once.

As far as an exhaust leak goes this sounds different to me -although I could be wrong.

As far as the pushrods go I have a box in which I will punch holes that will serve to hold the pushrods in their respective positions. Although, I'm wondering if I should just buy new pushrods. These may be 18 years old. How long does the typical pushrod last?

You can get RRs in either mount so there's no telling till you get the valve covvers off.

If the "tick" goes away after the oil is warmed up then it's likely NOT the gasket leak. If the "tick" stays constant, you can't 100% rule out lifters but it's not often I find hyd lifters for these motor that are completely flat (although it has happened and is usually accompanied by a fair amount of engine sludge).

You can get RRs in either mount so there's no telling till you get the valve covvers off.

If the "tick" goes away after the oil is warmed up then it's likely NOT the gasket leak. If the "tick" stays constant, you can't 100% rule out lifters but it's not often I find hyd lifters for these motor that are completely flat (although it has happened and is usually accompanied by a fair amount of engine sludge).

This is interesting. So, the tick starts after a few minutes of driving from cold and it remains until I stop driving. The tick seems to increase in volume a bit as the engine warms up. Thoughts?

This is interesting. So, the tick starts after a few minutes of driving from cold and it remains until I stop driving. The tick seems to increase in volume a bit as the engine warms up. Thoughts?

My thought is that it doesn't sound to me like a lifter. If you've got good oil pressure then generally the lifter will tick when cold and fade away as the oil warms up. Could be that you have maladjusted stud mount rockers or cone shaped push-rod ends.

Another theory is that if the rockers are stud mount, that whomever installed them, installed them on the loose side. Nothing wrong with that. Particularly if you're running boost. If this is the case, then it shouldn't sound like one weak lifter. Should sound like a damned sewing machine (lots of ticks).

Buy or borrow a mechanic's stethoscope. That should help you pin down the culptrit.

My thought is that it doesn't sound to me like a lifter. If you've got good oil pressure then generally the lifter will tick when cold and fade away as the oil warms up. Could be that you have maladjusted stud mount rockers or cone shaped push-rod ends.

Another theory is that if the rockers are stud mount, that whomever installed them, installed them on the loose side. Nothing wrong with that. Particularly if you're running boost. If this is the case, then it shouldn't sound like one weak lifter. Should sound like a damned sewing machine (lots of ticks).

Buy or borrow a mechanic's stethoscope. That should help you pin down the culptrit.

Very interesting. The tick certainly does not go away and it does sound like a sewing machine in that it is always present. Of course, when I go to higher RPMs and the exhaust note is louder I cannot hear the ticking.

Also, I do not use boost. Maybe the previous owner did, but if they did they certainly have the wrong plugs for boost applications.

As far as a mechanic's stethoscope, Ido not have the required skill to diagnose problems with one. I am mainly a parts replacer who has experience with certain issues. I encountered many problems during my 12 year relationship with my old fox body.

What can you tell me to educate me further on the matter?

It's not that tough... take the stethoscope and place it directly on the metal near suspected areas (valve cover, rear of lower intake, header flange), and where ever you place it that the tick is at it's the loudest is the area with the problem.

It should even be able to get you to the exact lifter/rocker that bad or out of adjustment, if that's in fact what the problem is.

It's not that tough... take the stethoscope and place it directly on the metal near suspected areas (valve cover, rear of lower intake, header flange), and where ever you place it that the tick is at it's the loudest is the area with the problem.

It should even be able to get you to the exact lifter/rocker that bad or out of adjustment, if that's in fact what the problem is.
Thank you Noobz. That sounds rather pedestrian. I'm releived. So, I'm back to my original (sort of) question. Would it be beneficial for me to upload pics & comments during my trek into my new to me engine (regardless of the issue)? I'm hoping to be helpful to someone out there and get feedback as I go.

Thank you Noobz. That sounds rather pedestrian. I'm releived. So, I'm back to my original (sort of) question. Would it be beneficial for me to upload pics & comments during my trek into my new to me engine (regardless of the issue)? I'm hoping to be helpful to someone out there and get feedback as I go.

How-to's are ALWAYS beneficial. The more pics the better. :nice: