Questions About Supercharger On Pi Swapped Motor

Nelmsy

Dec 11, 2016
Hi guys,

First I want to say, yes I have searched multiple forums about this topic and have found some results however they are mixed. I have a bunch of questions and would like as many opinions as possible on.
A couple months ago I PI swapped my 98 GT. My car has 90K miles on it and has aftermarket full exhaust from the headers back. I found the article from a few years back about piecing together a full system for around $1500. I plan to go this route. I am not looking for a crazy setup. Just looking to get a good amount of power while not having to upgrade everything else on my car. I would be keeping the boost down for reliability as well. Besides the head unit, bracket assembly, discharge assembly, air intake assembly, oil feed, and oil drain, are there any other parts I would need? After swapping the heads/cam/intake I am definitely confident that I can install this myself as I am trying to keep cost at a minimum.
Questions:
-Is it a good idea to supercharge a PI swapped motor? I have heard mixed opinions...
-What specific superchargers should I look into buying? I have it narrowed down to vortech
-Has anyone supercharged their PI swapped motor? Do you have any advice?
-Does anyone have a used head unit on this site for a reasonable price that does not need a rebuild?

I know I am asking for a lot of information. Any advice, suggestions, and/or opinions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I think what you are reading is because of the compression bump in a PI sap that some say it is a little risky to supercharge. Have you had your car tuned since the swap? Get a compression check and see where you are as far as that goes.

You're at about 10.5:1. If you intercool it, keep it to about 8-9-psi, run a conservative tune and use premium fuel you'll probably be okay.

Fast, cheap, reliable: Choose any two :)

FWIW, I'm swapping in 11:1 pistons with 13-15lbs on pump gas. A good tuner will keep it safe and make good power.

With just a pi swap (Fox lake heads) we were going to shoot for 10-12 psi. Things have changed considerably with my combo but don't be afraid of compression and boost with the right tuner.

Also, with a 98 you can swap in an older style 255, remove the two speed relay (Passenger fender), drill the basket out to stop fuel starvation and then run a boost a pump. Will support 600hp all day long (this is my exact fuel setup on my 98) with 80# or larger injectors.

Most newer blowers don't need an oil feed anymore either.

My procharger kit fits great but I had a hell of a time with blower belt issues. I kicked and destroyed 8-10 of them. Ended up running a thumper rr tension ($379) to save the belts and an 8 rib setup I pieced together from amazon using a 05 e250 5.4 ford van as a parts reference source.

Good Luck. Pm me if you have any questions, I tried to cheap out on a few pieces and ended up paying more in the long run.

I'm going to agree with what other people have posted. Boost is ok with higher compression as long as it's tuned properly. An intercooler will help more than anything else for keeping it safe. It's too bad it's all together already though. A mirror polish on the combustion chambers does quite a bit to eliminate detonation and would allow your tuner to be a bit more aggressive with the tune while still being safe.

Higher compression is only really a problem with boost when people go for really high boost or they use a positive displacement blower that makes full boost in low rpm. Under 10 psi of intercooled boost with the right tuner will make good power and not be a issue unless the tune is wrong.

As far as superchargers I'd say either a procharger kit or a vortech V3 Si with the CX Racing A/A intercooler kit. I have the vortech and CX setup on mine with a 3.33" pulley and it's only making 10-11 psi at 6k rpm. Leave the 3.6" pulley on and you would probably be about 6-7 psi?