Fox Questions on my dyno results

ItsWay2fast4u

Sep 3, 2018
Cali
Hi all.

I picked up a clean 92 notch 5 speed 5.0 about 3 weeks ago. Nicest I’ve seen in a decade.

2 owner car. 85,000 miles. I am planning to weekend drive it and use it on our local time attack road course.

I took it to my local mustang specialty shop and has 3 baseline pulls done... came up at 169whp. I asked the shop owner why it would be so low as I expected closer to 200whp.

They kept it overnight and compression tested it, did plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil change and air filter (K&N drop in). He told me everything checked out really good and explained to me his dyno is calibrated and his numbers are SAE smoothing factor 5 and that a lot of dyno operators use STD or uncorrected which inflates the numbers and hasn’t been the acceptable unit of measure since 1988.

So I asked for a few recommendations on what to do next at my budget and he said BBK catless H-Pipe, magnaflow catback, BBK pullies. So I went ahead with this.

Car made 184.8whp.

I feel surprised by the low numbers. He told me the aluminum cold air intakes are junk and will lose me horsepower on my track days.

My only other plans I guess are 3.73 gears, and shorty headers.

What do y’all think of my numbers?
Car goes better now and sounds great btw.

• Sponsors (?)

What type of dyno, dynojet or mustang dyno?

The 15rwhp gain with those mods seem about right.
Sometimes it's more about the gains than it is the baseline number.
Does the base number sound low? Yeah a little, but there are too many variables to figure out if it's the car or dyno. The track would probably tell the story.

I agree with no aluminum intake. The stock box with a k&n is fine for most bolt on setups.

For gears I personally would use the 3.73's too.
For headers, my preference is bassani equals, but the crowd around here likes to skip from shorties to long tubes. I found equals to be a happy medium

What type of dyno, dynojet or mustang dyno?

The 15rwhp gain with those mods seem about right.
Sometimes it's more about the gains than it is the baseline number.
Does the base number sound low? Yeah a little, but there are too many variables to figure out if it's the car or dyno. The track would probably tell the story.

I agree with no aluminum intake. The stock box with a k&n is fine for most bolt on setups.

For gears I personally would use the 3.73's too.
For headers, my preference is bassani equals, but the crowd around here likes to skip from shorties to long tubes. I found equals to be a happy medium

Dynojet. A very new one with certified calibration stickers.

I hear 5-7hp for shorty the headers... I’m actually getting them put on this Friday. I won’t do gears until the spring now. I’m spent out trying to make 190whp ... too funny.