Questions on Upgrading to GT "boy kit"

Mustang05

Nov 25, 2004
Questions on Upgrading to GT "body kit"

Is it possible to drive around safely with your GT bumper on and not have the GT "schroud" over the radiator and not have GT fender well covers? I spent all my money on GT front and rear and side skirts with the GT mufflers.. and i want to have them on ASAP... im not a very patient person haha. Also To take off the stock sideskirts.. do you just take out the screws at the ends? or is there 3M tape all along it as well? And if not did you put any on for the install?

• Sponsors (?)

I did this last weekend.

The GT and V6 radiator shroud are the same.

I would not drive around without the fender liners, especially in bad weather. Although the V6 lower fender liners are different I think you could get away with leaving them on for a short time. Thet attach in several differnt places other than the screws at the bottom. I think you could try it and see if they flap around.

When you remove the turn signals from the V6 bumper you will need to drill out 2 rivets on each side. To properly reinstall them you will need to use 3/8in rivets or bolts and nuts with very small heads. You will see what I mean once you get them off.

On the side skirts, remove the screws from the ends. Remove the push pins from under the side skirts. You will need a panel puller to do this. They sell them at AZ for about $5, get the kind that has a screwdriver handle. Once all that is done pull out and upward. Some of the clips may stay on the car but they are essily removed, you will need to reinstall them on the new side skirts. The push pins tear up when you remove them, go to AZ and get replacements if you need them. I would try the old ones, if they grab then reuse them. There is no double sided tape.

On the V6 front bumper there is a crash pad that needs to be replaced with the GT one. You can save a few bucks and easily modify the V6 one to work.

1. Remove the front bumper cover.
2. Stand in front of the car looking at the windshield. Look down at the center section of the crash foam.
3. The piece you need to modify says V6 on it.
4. Place your hand on the top of the crash foam around where one of the new fogs will be. Move your hand toward the piece that says V6 on it. You will feel your hand hit a raised section of the crash foam for about 8 inches then it will drop down to the flat part on the other side. That raised section is what you need to remove so that its flat all the way across the top of the crash foam.
5. Pull the piece of crash foam off that says V6 and hold it up to eye level, you will see what needs to be removed. Get a hacksaw blade and use that or a rough flat file to smooth it out.

I bought all the parts from ford for the conversion. Those parts plus two muffler brackets cost me $180.

Its pretty easy. You only need a phillips screwdriver, panel puller, 10mm socket, and the drill and bit for the rivets.

Any questions shoot me a pm.