Questions regarding AODE B&M Hammer Shifter Installation

mtmc

May 11, 2011
VA
I bought my '96 GTS with the AODE slipping pretty bad. I had considered converting to a 5 speed but after watching videos and reading reviews of the B&M Hammer Shifter (81001) I think I would be very happy with it. Plus, it would be a lot less work. I found another 4R70W transmission that I plan to get this weekend. My question is, is there anything I need to do prior to installing the new tranny that would make the installation of the B&M Hammer shifter easier? I read a few posts that said some install a shift kit with this shifter. I don't understand why, would it be beneficial? Anyway, is there anything that I should do with the tranny before installing it since it will be easier to work on outside of the car? Also, does anyone know where I can find installation instructions for this shifter? I'd like to see what's involved before purchase.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

The shift kit has no direct effect on the action of the Hammer shifter, but it would probably improve the quality of the shifts during manual operation. I would recommend doing at least a J-mod, and if you want a higher-stall converter, now would be the time. As for installation instructions, I couldn't find any online but they came in the box. It wasn't difficult to install, just time-consuming because you're constantly going under the car, then back into the cabin, then back under the car, etc. If you have any problems, there are a few guys on here who have one and would be glad to help (like myself).

I keep hearing J-mod. What exactly does that entail? I'll do a search but are there any instructions for this that you thought were better than others?

Well, I haven't actually done it yet (trans is getting a complete rebuild to take the 600+ ft/lbs of torque I'll be throwing at it), but it's just drilling a few holes and removing a spring. The hardest part will be dropping the pan and removing the valve body. As for instructions, I'd go with the instructions written by Jerry himself: TCCoA Tech Articles.