Quick question about something on the stock exhaust.

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I am getting my turndowns put on tuesday, but I want to keep my side pipes incase I want them again. BUT I have them made so I could take thjem off easily. I had the muffler shop cut the part that bolts up behind the cats and weld it onto the side pipes. I want to do the same thing with my turn downs, but the muffler shop said that they dont know where to get those and its probably a deal item. I dont see how something like that could be a dealer item? And i dont want to have to cut them off my side pipes, but i guess I will if I have to.

• Sponsors (?)

Eric, I'm lost. Are you talkin about the exhaust pipe after the cats that runs to the collector (that then connects to the flowtubes)?

If so, that's part of the H and I think you'd have to hack up an old H-pipe.

Sorry if I misunderstood ya.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Eric, I'm lost. Are you talkin about the exhaust pipe after the cats that runs to the collector (that then connects to the flowtubes)?

If so, that's part of the H and I think you'd have to hack up an old H-pipe.

Sorry if I misunderstood ya.

Good luck.
no, its actually after the H. When you are taking the tranny out, its the part of the exhaust you have to unbolt to get it off.

The Green GT said:
no, its actually after the H. When you are taking the tranny out, its the part of the exhaust you have to unbolt to get it off.
I'm lost. In my mind, the part after the H-pipe is the catback (flow tube, muffler and tailpipe).

Or do you literally mean behind the cats, and are talkin about the H-pipe hanger?

I'm a little slow.

Is this what you're referring to?

15925.jpg

Umm...unless you're getting a good deal, I'd go to a better muffler shop. Any good muffler shop should be able to put those on the system for you.
They do bend custom system right? Or is it just some guy that like to weld/bolt in pre-fabbed systems?

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Umm...unless you're getting a good deal, I'd go to a better muffler shop. Any good muffler shop should be able to put those on the system for you.
They do bend custom system right? Or is it just some guy that like to weld/bolt in pre-fabbed systems?[/QUOTE]
Im getting a VERY good deal, plus the place is next doo rro work so I will get it done while Im at work and wont have to wait. They are a very good shop, I think the guy I was talking to is just a moron. And yes they custom bend all my stuff.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]All they'll need to do is put the bracket on the pipe, then Flare the end. I would assume they'd have the brackets if exhaust work is their main business. But if not, you should be able to get them at Advance.[/QUOTE]
its actually a tire shop. But they pretty much do everything except transmission work.
Ill check out AZ and see what I can find.

Eric, if you find something like that, please let me know. I need a set of connectors just like that for another car. I've had no luck at any local parts stores.

If you need what's in between the rear-side of the H-pipe and the mufflers, it seems to me that'd be flowtubes. They're pricey little buggers though.

Good luck.

I hate those damn flanges. If I were to re-do my x-pipe, I'd cut those off and just have straight connectors welded on so I can hook up the system with some of those fancy low-profile band-clamps. I keep scraping those flanges on curbes and potholes and having them come apart (they are pretty much the lowest point on my exhaust and are easy to get hung-up on). I've since had the flanges welded solid to both pipes, and its been holding together for a quite some time now.