Quick question about tools I need

criticman

Sep 7, 2003
Rome, GA
Doing supercharger install in a couple of weeks, need some new tools.

I need to go ahead and buy a torque wrench. What is a good brand and model that people have had consistent luck with in terms of accuracy and reliability?

I am swapping the fuel pump. In a write up I saw something about a special line disconnect tool being needed. What part is this? Is there a general fuel line tool kit that would be good to have on hand anyway?

Other than my good socket set, wrenches, adjustable wrenches, and the tools listed above...anything else that I need to get prior to the install? :shrug:

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the line lock tools for fuel lines can be bought at pretty much any parts store. they usually come in packs of 6 or so different sizes for around $13. i buy all my hand tools, wrenches etc from Harbor Freight. if there's on local to you check them out. they don't carry much of the brand name stuff, but the stuff they sale is just as good. i've been using pittsburgh brand tools from Harbor Freight for years and i've never had a single problem with them. sears makes one of the best torque wrenches as far as ease of use, the digitork. you can also get a pittsburgh from HF that works the same way but doesn't look quite as nice. just be sure to get a 1/2 in ch drive one. good luck with your project.

Matt, a good TQ wrench can be over $300 easy, MAC Snap On, etc....

If you want a TQ wrench a Craftsman may work just fine for you $70 for a click wrench. Sears also carries the plastic AC and Fuel Line disconnects $10, or yu local parts store. If you do not have one get a BRASS punch to use to tap the locking ring off of the fuel pump assembly, last thing you want is sparks back there. Run it as low as you can, 1 gal of gas is about 7 pounds.

I've been using the Craftsman torque wrench for about 10 years with no problems, just make sure you return the torque settings to the lowest when you are done, otherwise you'll stretch the spring and throw off the calibration.

What supercharger? If you are doing a Vortech, or other charger that gets its oil from the motor, you'll need to drill and tap where the oil pressure sending unit screws into, as well as the oil pan for the return.

I have two Craftsman click type wrenches that serve me well for fasteners that require big torques and have wide ranges -- balancer bolt, lug nuts, etc. For head bolts, manifolds, bottom end stuff - I prefer an old beam-type torque wrench. As long as they're not abused/dropped - they don't go out of calibration. Most importantly, you can actually see how you're getting a nice smooth pull up to the required torque. And - they're less expensive than the other types.

i have a craftsman click torque wrench and it's been good to me. the secret is to not use them as breaker bars, take care of them and they will last. i keep mine in the "delicate" tool drawer with the micrometers and sensitive stuff so it's not getting battered around.

the beam ones are good too, especially for things that require lower torque settings.......

I don't think the crappy mall here where I am for college has a Sears. So, what would be a good/decent brand torque wrench similar to Craftsman quality that I could get at Lowe's? We have a Home Depot, but it is pretty bad compared to the Lowe's here. Since Summit opened up a place here in GA, I could order from them and have it fast if anyone suggests a brand they carry.

For tapping the oil pan...what will I need other than the drill?

Thanks guys!

For a torque wrench, I would try to get a Sears or Craftsman, since, if it ever needs service or calibration, they can do it. My Craftsman stuff has been worth what I paid for the basic tools.

Otherwise, a parts store type would work ok. Carquest carries good brand tools, and stands behind them at least as well as Sears, so they are my current tool source. Farther down the list would be the Autozone type.

if your going to get a cheaper torque wrench your probably better off with the beam type with the scale....

you can get the el cheapo click types but they make me kinda nervouse, especially on things that don't require alot of torque...

criticman said:
I don't think the crappy mall here where I am for college has a Sears.

If it's going to be a couple of weeks or more, you may want to try Sears web site. I'm sure they would have tools on it. Maybe you'll find something that fits your needs, and have it delivered to your door! Good luck!

I only mentioned drill because it was mentioned up above...heh, not even sure why I did since I have read through several blower installation instructions and know it needs to be punched, NOT drilled. :nono:

Maybe deep in my mind I wanted to ask about what type of punch I needed to purchase for the tapping of the oil pan?

And good idea about checking out the Sear's website.

Has no one bought tools through Summit? I'd love to hear about them if you have because I have had good luck with them on everything else I have ordered and it would get here in a days time since I am so close to the new warehouse.

So I went to Sear's today...we do have a crappy one in the mall after all. I bought the click style 3/8" drive torque wrench. I asked about a brass punch and they looked at me, completely clueless. I guess I need to go to Lowe's for it?

As for the torque wrench...was it wise to go with the 3/8" or should I have done the 1/2"? From my experience so far, I use the 3/8" sockets a lot more often than the 1/2". I also have an adapter to go from 3/8" to 1/2".

Thanks.

technically the less adapters/reducers you use the better for the accuracy of the readings but......if it's a 3.8 drive..whats the scale on it?? meaning what torque ratings is it go to? i think the different drives have different scales bu i'm not sure on that one with the click type.

You'll be fine with the 3/8", you are not supposed to use adapters or extensions while using a TQ wrench as it can skew the readings.

I have both a 3/8" and 1/2", beam and click, newton meters and inch pounds.

Just get a piece of brass flat stck from Lowes. Home Depot or a local hardware store.