quick question on rear axle spline

citmov

10 Year Member
Sep 25, 2009
Chi-town
I'm going to do the 5 lug conversion but hold off on the disc brake conversion until I have more $$$. But for now which rear axle do I purchase? 28 or 31 spline?

I have an all stock rear end. I'm going to guess 28 - is that correct?

• Sponsors (?)

If you're staying drum in the back with the plan on going disc eventually, don't waste your money on aftermarket axles right now. Ranger or Aerostar axles will get you by for cheap, then when you go disc, you can upgrade to the nice aftermarket units.

28 spline is the stock axle yes! If you want to do 31 spline, you will need a 31 spline carrier as well. More money!! Think it out is my suggestion, you dont wanna buy parts twice...It sucks!

If you're staying drum in the back with the plan on going disc eventually, don't waste your money on aftermarket axles right now. Ranger or Aerostar axles will get you by for cheap, then when you go disc, you can upgrade to the nice aftermarket units.

ahhh, good idea. that will save me some cash. does it matter what year Ranger or Aerostar?

28 spline is the stock axle yes! If you want to do 31 spline, you will need a 31 spline carrier as well. More money!! Think it out is my suggestion, you dont wanna buy parts twice...It sucks!

good advice! time for some thinking!!!

THANKS EVERYONE!