Quiet Electric Fuel Pump Carbed Daily Driver

TRIBUNAL

Jun 12, 2005
Hello,
Well just getting my project running, the old Holley pump died out on me, keeps blowing fuses and I will be replacing it. The old pump was supposed to be 7psi max but it always registered as much higher on my fuel pressure gauges.
Anyway I am looking for a replacement, but theres a lot of choices and I don't know where to start. This is for what I want to be a Daily Driver. I want a max of 6-7psi as I am running a 600CFM Holley carb on a GT40p 302 without a regulator, (I do have a regulator I could put on but there will not be a return line), 3/8th aluminum fuel lines. I would also prefer something a bit quieter if that's possible without spending $200+, if not I will deal with the noise.
Also I have heard about these relays, is that a good idea and if so anyone have a summit number? Right now it's hooked up to the ignition with a fuse.
If it is necessary I can mount it in the front, but I would prefer to mount it in the rear. There seems to be a lot of disagreement if that effects fuel pressure under acceleration so perhaps the front is better?
Any thoughts or recommendations is appreciated as always.

• Sponsors (?)

I've always believed that electric fuel pumps are pushers not pullers so mount it in the rear near the tank, I also would use rubber to insulate it from the attacting point. You may want to consider some type of inertia switch in case of impact or rollover. As for brands, well all I can say is shop for an american made, jmo.

The 85 5.0 5 speed Mustang had an in tank mounted electric fuel pump that was rated at 10 PSI. The 5.0 CFI injected engine that came with an Auto trans had an extra external fuel pump to boost the pressure up to 40 PSI to work with the CFI injection system

That in tank pump might be just the thing you need...

The 85 5.0 5 speed Mustang had an in tank mounted electric fuel pump that was rated at 10 PSI. The 5.0 CFI injected engine that came with an Auto trans had an extra external fuel pump to boost the pressure up to 40 PSI to work with the CFI injection system

That in tank pump might be just the thing you need...
Will that pump mount in a efi tank like the 87-93 tank?

Just because I don't want to drop the tank out and have to install a new pickup with pump or whatever would be involved in converting it to that setup. I really need to get it going asap.

That Summit/Holley Red clone will be no quieter than your old pump. If your old pump was blue, it needed that regulator as it is capable of 15 p.s.i.

The likelihood that you need a 12v relay and that you are choking the existing pump could be one of the reasons you are currently blowing fuses. So many guys just throw a high current draw electrical device on an existing circuit and call it a day only to find out that fuses blow, wires melt, or the stuff hooked to it just stops working are all signs that the device is drawing too much amperage for the circuit it's wired to.
Install a 30 amp relay, and follow the wiring instructions so that the pump is getting the required current that it needs, or at the very least, make sure that the circuit it's currently wired to has an appropriate sized wire (16 ga. minimum) the connectors aren't all grody, and aren't poorly crimped, and the fuse slot it's tied back to is capable of supporting the extra current draw. (Your Summit/Holley pump says it only draws 4 amps...so, in the grand scheme, not a big power sucker.)

Then, just hope that the Summit version of that Holley is better than alot of Summit's knock off stuff and you'll be back on the road......

Reactions: 1 user
This is what madmike1157 is trying to tell you...
fuel-pump-relay-for-carbd-cars-gif.50041.gif

Reactions: 1 user