Race Car Now Has Flame Throwers...

srtthis

the guy doing it does every local racers rear end
15 Year Member
Jul 3, 2009
Maryland

trying to find the cause of the lazyness in the race car... weve had it shoot fire at night but never in the shop have we been able to see it like this during the day

• Sponsors (?)

haha not sure what the cause of it is honestly... dont think its tune related unless its an issue in the MSD7530 thats causing timing to come out we dont have programmed. but we've put a light on it and the timing drops as it should and shows our base timing while it idles. then the timing drops as the nitrous comes on...

could be cam timing related could be carb related could be fuel pressure on the nitrous side related.

Here's my wild ass guess...

You have one cylinder that is not firing. That's why it's sluggish, that's why you have flames coming out of it.

Are the flames only shooting out of one side? :chin

Well... there goes my theory. :p

I'm going over to the throttle body thread and making a new page.

:leaving:

What injectors are you using? What are you using to drive those injectors? Is that driver adjustable by chance? Are they low or high impedance?
what are these injectors you speak of????

as for the cam lobe down. nope... motor was just refreshed and everything was apart

I hope my car blows flames at some point. Anyone seen that happen on a stockish motor with a Vortech, no cats, and mufflers(Flows)?
my car all the time. "flows" being magnaflows and motor is somewhat stockish. Still a 302...

End of burnout... It's always when I'm at my limiter or shifting at high RPM's

Unfortunately it caused a hole in the bumper last winter as the urethane was cold and 100 miles of a spirited run didn't like it

Reactions: 1 user
my car all the time. "flows" being magnaflows and motor is somewhat stockish. Still a 302...

End of burnout... It's always when I'm at my limiter or shifting at high RPM's

Unfortunately it caused a hole in the bumper last winter as the urethane was cold and 100 miles of a spirited run didn't like it

i believe thats would be a "lean pop"

i believe thats would be a "lean pop"
Such said hole in Bumper :(

imagedmfe.jpg

imagekdi.jpg

And I would be more than surprised if this were a lean pop considering how damn filthy rich it is between gears.... Dont of course have that dyno info, but you can see my AFR's at the end of my RPM range and they suggest a damned heavy amount of fuel. Happens when I am shifting around 6000-6200 as well

dyno324.jpg

you said it does it when your up near the limiter right? stock computer cuts fuel at the limiter... which is why i believe its a lean pop

Reactions: 1 user
you said it does it when your up near the limiter right? stock computer cuts fuel at the limiter... which is why i believe its a lean pop
Gotcha. I would love to know if that were the case.. but I cut out the factory rev limiter and have a custom tune. I am using my MSD box but I am not bouncing the limiter when I shift.... :shrug:

haha not sure what the cause of it is honestly... dont think its tune related unless its an issue in the MSD7530 thats causing timing to come out we dont have programmed. but we've put a light on it and the timing drops as it should and shows our base timing while it idles. then the timing drops as the nitrous comes on...

could be cam timing related could be carb related could be fuel pressure on the nitrous side related.
Did you change the cam? As in a different profile? It takes unburned fuel to cause that condition. So somehow there is fuel in the exhaust that is lighting off, or a lot of fuel is not being burned in the combustion chamber but in the exhaust pipe. In other words, the combustion process is still taking place when the exhaust valve opens and all of that combustion process is now finishing itself in the exhaust pipe.