Race ready??????

hi_ofcr

May 19, 2004
I'm in the process of building a 1983 Mustang gt for drag racing. We have alot of racing in our family but noone here can figure out what to do next. Currently it is a "street legal" car. the mods include; 1979 302 bored to a 306, aluminum intake, 390 stock 4-v carb, stock heads, headman shorty headers to straight pipes out the back (no muffler), it has a c-4 tranny that does need some help, 7.5 rear-end but its strong enough to take the power, no smog or ac. now i just needed some advice wher eto go next with out having to tear down the motor. could i s-charge it, would heads help, is nos ok, and how big of a stall for street use aswell. the stats are in 1/8 mile as it sits it ran a 9.90, but i think it should be in the 8s the motor builder said it has aroung 350 hp at crank. if anyone can help let know. here is link to see it

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/561387

• Sponsors (?)

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: Oh man.... who the hell built your motor?? Was he smoking his lunch or something??? No offence man, but there is no way in hell that 306 is making 350HP as it sit's. Your most likely around 190HP-200HP depending on cam specs.

Throw some good Forged piston's in her, around 10:1 Compression, a beefy Comp Hyd. Cam, some decent heads(Performer's, GT-40's, AFR 165 etc.) and definetly a better carb (650 Speed Demon, Performer, Double Pumper etc) and you will start to make some decent power. Give her a 75-100HP shot of nitrous for that extra bit of power when you need it. Your 7.5 rear will have to go that's all there is to it. It wont last long even with a mild 302 especially when slicks are used. Throw an 8.8 in her with some 3:73's or 4:10's.

Find out cam type and spec's and if the piston's are forged or not and post it.
Nice Stang by the way, keep up the good work man.

there was to my motor than that it does have a cam it is brackmaster to be exact and it was dynod at 200 at rear wheels with the tranny slipping like a mother, we had long tubes but they broke at the block, it was t-4 but it was ripped out, the 7.5 came out of nhra stocker that was running 12's,the block isn't a reg 302 block i have been told it matches up to a boss 302 if it is or not i can't tell 100%. thanks for the suggestions. and it has 10:1 compression