Radiator/Fan Suggestions

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Hey all! Thinking about my next mod for my Fox now that she's back together and running. She always wants to run a little hot, especially at idle. It supposedly has a police interceptor radiator in it, with everything else stock.

Was thinking a 2 row aluminum radiator. Anyone know anything about the Mishimoto ones? They seem cheaper than the Fluidyne and curious if this is just another case of cheaper is junk.

What do you all think about electric fans? My car is not a DD and more just a toy.

I'd really like to spend about $500 max if at all possible....but don't want junk.

I already have nice blue silicone hoses and a new fan clutch in it. My shroud is fine, etc.

So while I like some of the kits, I don't really need all the extras. Do you think it would help just having a nicer radiator and keeping the fan and all stock still.

Any advice or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

This is the fan I'll probably get when I get back into working on mine.
Ebay Item number: 300396645487

I don't know why the link wouldn't work.

Linky no worky. Edit: I entered the item number and read the listing. Only 2500 CFM out of dual fans. The black magic flows 2800 solo. I would suggest better flowing duals, just my .02

Anywho Doc, I would suggest going with a setup like you listed as piecing your own kit together can be a nightmare. I wont say I had huge problems, but it gets old having to do several trips to the junk yard or parts store to get what you need and always feeling like you've Frankensteined it. :nice:

Linky no worky. Edit: I entered the item number and read the listing. Only 2500 CFM out of dual fans. The black magic flows 2800 solo. I would suggest better flowing duals, just my .02

Anywho Doc, I would suggest going with a setup like you listed as piecing your own kit together can be a nightmare. I wont say I had huge problems, but it gets old having to do several trips to the junk yard or parts store to get what you need and always feeling like you've Frankensteined it. :nice:

Thanks for pointing that out. No wonder it's only 50 bucks.

Get what you pay for right!

Yeah that kit is tempting me minus the hoses.....I really want something that is a direct fit and needs no modifications. That would make life much simpler and just have to wire up the controller.

Get what you pay for right!

Yeah that kit is tempting me minus the hoses.....I really want something that is a direct fit and needs no modifications. That would make life much simpler and just have to wire up the controller.

True that!

Either way you will end up having to wire a controller, the fact that this one comes with tells me the harness and solenoid probably come mounted to/with the radiator. Trust me, I have a set of dual fans and a Fluidyne aluminum and I wish I would have purchased a kit such as the one you found. Yet another old and nasty looking wiring loom hanging in my engine bay to make the fan go round and round.

Buy it, you wont regret it, besides your fox is gorgeous and deserves the best looking shiniest parts! :nice:

Thanks man! Its about one of the mods that has not yet been done and would probably look killer!

I'm always afraid of the generic brands on Ebay....my luck is the dang thing would leak from the seams.

FRPP 2 core radiator. Got mine for about $250 at LRS. Way better than stock IMO. Keeps the engine cooler for a lot longer period when it's sitting there at idle. My next upgrade is the Contour fan setup. Hopefully I can find one in the boneyard. I like those the best because they are more than enough for a good cooldown and the fact that they are slim. Yeah, once I got that 2 core rad, it pushed the stock shroud up so damn close to the pulleys, I thought it wasn't going to clear at first.

If you go electric fan, make sure you have the 3G alt upgrade. Gotta like the extra juice that thing puts out. No more dimming headlights at idle. :D

If it had to do it over again id get the Proform electirc fan, it is exactly the same as the flex a lite and more than 100 dollars cheaper. Both are made in China if im not mistakin. Ive had no problems with my flex a lite at all its just 250 is outrageous for a cheap plastic fan

I got my duals at autozone and they flow something crazy like over 6000 cfm and were only like $160. Overall though, since the stangs have the worst cooling issues, especially when modified, I wanted what was best. I am pusing 13 lbs of NON INTERCOOLED boost through my engine and my 180 degree thermo, high flow water pump, Fluidyne radiator and dual electric fans keeps it cool even on the hottest of days. The worst part is, I am in deeper than what you are looking at Doc, so my suggestion is to get a unit that looks and plays the part.

I stand by what I said, buy that. If you want a frankensteined unit like most of us have, go for it but more than likely you wont be saving much money.

Doc i got a Mark VIII fan with your name on it for $50. I'll even help ya trim it and mount it. The drawback is you need to hit up ebay for a bigass 80amp relay for it (about $35).

I have Ford Contour duel speed duel fans. They are controlled by a Hayden 3654 fan controller. Here is a picture of them mounted to the radiator.

Fan assembly was $30 at the bone yard and the controller was $75.

fanmounted.jpg